Brian's Reviews > Dolores Claiborne

Dolores Claiborne by Stephen King

Dolores Claiborne tells the story of a sixty-six-year-old woman who has lived on Little Tall Island all her life. She may not have seen much of the world beyond the island, but she has certainly lived through some experiences.

The novel is narrated by Dolores herself, and takes the form of a confession monologue. The work is unusual in the way it is one continuous outpouring from Dolores, with no section or chapter breaks. When I first discovered this, I hesitated because I wasn't sure I would be able to get through it.

However, the way King shapes the characters, especially those of Dolores, Vera (her employer), and Joe (her husband) is astonishing. The way he builds suspense and holds the reader in its grasp is equally masterful.

I can't think of anything I didn't like about this novel. It's very different to King's usual work, but it still contains all the classic hallmarks of one of his works.

I'm glad I ignored my initial doubts and decided to read Dolores Claiborne, as I think it's one of the best King books I've read to-date. Highly recommended!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dolores Claiborne.

September 26, 2020 – Shelved
September 26, 2020 – Shelved as: to-read
September 27, 2020 – Started Reading
October 2, 2020 –
35.0% "When I first started reading this book, I was worried I would struggle with it due to the lack of scene and chapter breaks. I'm now over a third of the way through and it's not a problem. Dolores is a great character."
October 6, 2020 –
73.0% "King is a master of suspense. The way he keeps the reader hanging on while Dolores narrates is superb."
October 8, 2020 –