Anna's Reviews > Rivals

Rivals by Jilly Cooper

bookshelves: bonkbuster, chunkster, 4-stars, read-in-2016

Original thoughts:

I first read this in my teens in the 80s and loved it. Riders was good, but Rivals was goooooood. Bonkbusting mayhem at it's best, with the added adorability of the romance between Rupert and Taggie, awww!

Today's thoughts:

Continuing my re-romps through the works of bonkbuster queen Jilly Cooper, Rivals was second only to Polo back in my teens. Bastard bad boy Rupert from Riders is finally tamed by the young, shy, quivering, dependable, adorable Taggie, and true to my old memories, their romance is oh so sweet. Watching swaggering serial shagger Rupert try to convince himself that he only has father-like feelings for innocent 19 year old Taggie, as well as the discovery of the dried leaves in his drawer and the airport arrivals scene had me sighing and swooning as much now as they did then, making me feel all warm n' fuzzy n' squishy inside.

The rest of the book couldn't quite live up to my multiple reads and 5 star rating. I still enjoyed all the bed hopping, the punchable 'caring' characters, the affected accents of the social-climbing wannabes, the bed hopping, the gossip, the bitching, the backstabbing, the bed hopping, the experimental teens, the drink-addled midlife crises, the shrieking egomaniacs, the bed hopping and the downright silliness, but I'm older and more world-weary these days and marathon romps wear me out ;-p

5 perfect bonkbusting stars from my teens; 4 nostalgically fun, Rupert and Taggie loving, slightly exhausted stars from now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rivals.

October 19, 2008 – Shelved