Liz* Fashionably Late's Reviews > Froi of the Exiles

Froi of the Exiles by Melina Marchetta

8191214
Re-read December 2014 with the Lumatere Chronicles Group Read (:

Everything I remembered and more.
____________________________
First read Dec 2013

Reading a Marchetta:

* Find your favorite place to read
* Get comfortable.
* Bring some coffee/alcohol/coffee+alcohol with you
* Don't forget some kleenex (you never know)
* Say goodbye to the world
* Embrace yourself for a hell of an emotional roller coaster.
* Add coffee to the alcohol

Well, tell me something new. And if you're looking for the responsible here, Melina Marchetta is to blame.

She's the one who writes about this amazing kingdoms. Can someone fall in love with a kingdom? Lumatera and Charyn, home for the heartbroken. A place of secrets and injustice where women remember dark times and men live ashamed of their actions yet the land of the brave and loyal. A place where a young man with the strength to overcome the worst of himself finds the courage to wait for the best in the despised and rejected. A place where a young girl endures the hardest years just to keep safe the innocent.

How does she manage to write a high fantasy story and yet it feels so current? Finn and Isaboe struggling with their daughter, totally in love with her. Some scenes are so honest and simple...

"She'd go to Isaboe first. She always went to her mother first [...] With her cheek pressed against Isaboe's shoulder, his daughter stared at him. After a moment, she extended a hand and he pretended to bite at her fingers. Finally she smiled."

Do you wanna hear a secret? I read Finnikin of the Rock a long time ago, it was both my first high fantasy and my first Marchetta. Of course, I wasn't prepared for the task. When I finished it, I write an e-mail to the author thanking her. I KNOW, RIGHT? how silly, but I remember being so overwhelmed and touched by her writing I just had to thank her for Finnikin and Evangeline, even Froi whom I didn't like so much.

Now I know better, I'm not writing her anything but let me tell you one thing: I'm grateful for Froi. He grew. He is a man, not a child anymore. He learnt and decided to be better. Who is this romantic, amazing and brave knight in shining armor?

“In a kinder world," he whispered, "one I promise you I've seen, men and women flirt and dance and love with only the fear of what it would mean without the other in their lives.”

Ugh, I SHIP EVERYTHING AND EVERYONE IN THIS BOOK. I ship the kingdoms and the secret lovers, I ship the brothers and the couples. I ship the returned wife and the stupid yet lovely Mont, I ship the exiled and the useless vessel, the proud Beatriss and the stubborn Capitan. The Lumatere Chronicles is an amazing series and it deserves every single one of the stars I'm giving it.

I'm weak enough to start Quintana of Charyn right now.

‘Let me tell you something, Oliver,’ she said with tears of sorrow in her eyes, ‘this is my real world.”
Damn it, I have something in my eyes again... yes, both of them. It's a condition.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Froi of the Exiles.

Quotes Liz* Fashionably Late Liked

Melina Marchetta
“If we forget who we lost, then we forget who we once were, and if we forget who we once were, we lose sight of who we are now.”

Melina Marchetta
“Some of us weren't born for rewards, Froi. We were born for sacrifices.”

Melina Marchetta
“I still wake with your name on my lips every morning.”

“Truth is dangerous.”
tags: truth

June 27, 2012 – Shelved
July 5, 2012 – Shelved as: fantasy
July 5, 2012 – Shelved as: adventure
December 27, 2013 – Started Reading
January 9, 2014 –
27.0% "Quintana is not what I was expecting. She's definitely something, though. Kind of terrifying if you ask me... Froi is again, a complex character and I think Trevanion and Beatriss should kiss right now and stop playing with us. He's freaking adorable."
January 9, 2014 –
30.0% "Every time Marchetta talks about Finnikin's daughter, I smile like a goof."
January 10, 2014 –
40.0% "[...] you were taught to speak Charynite in the classic way, probably a Priest or a scholar, and you've spent some time in Snark because when you curse, you say Sagra [...] The fact that you pronounce your z with an s sound tells me you lived amongst the Snarks [...]\n \n \n I just peed a little."
January 11, 2014 –
65.0% ""
January 13, 2014 –
100.0% "\n \n Perfection."
January 13, 2014 – Shelved as: yes-a-thousand-times-yes
January 14, 2014 – Shelved as: me-and-marchetta
November 25, 2014 – Shelved as: beautiful-writing
December 8, 2014 – Shelved as: dynamite
December 25, 2014 –
1.0% "Reginita, she claims to be. The little Queen.\n \n It's Christmas, I'm spending it with my favorite author!"
December 31, 2014 –
31.0% "Don't ever ask me again if I hate living anywhere with you and Jasmina. This Rock reminds me of the boy I was and being with you in the palace reminds me of the man I want to be.'\n 'Not just any man,' she whispered. 'A King. Mine.'\n \n "
December 31, 2014 –
35.0% "“If your people mean no offense, they should not speak their thoughts out loud in front of their children, Tesadora. Because it will be their children who come to slaughter us one day, all because of careless words passed down by their elders who meant no harm.” \n \n This is so relevant. With everything that's happening around us (discrimination, racism, homophobia, etc) we should remember this."
January 2, 2015 –
69.0% ""That's what Saro of the Monts would have done."\n \n GO LUCIAN\n description"
January 2, 2015 –
76.0% "And if someone asked me to paint a picture of joy and hope, I would have painted you. In my eyes, that is beauty.\n \n I should be reading Red Rising right now but so many feels here."
January 2, 2015 –
97.0% ""Do you remember your words? Has anything changed? About how you can never go back to the way things were?" She took his face in her hands. \n "I only remember the words that haven't changed, Trevanion." She pressed her brow against his. "I still wake with your name on my lips every morning."\n \n Actual tears, guys."
January 2, 2015 – Shelved as: read-2013
January 2, 2015 – Shelved as: alternating-povs
January 2, 2015 – Shelved as: holding-the-mysterious-breath-again
January 2, 2015 – Shelved as: i-actually-cried
January 2, 2015 – Shelved as: read-it-again
Started Reading
November 6, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

Ellis I SHIP EVERYTHING AND EVERYONE IN THIS BOOK.

Yup. That's how I'd describe my reading experience as well, and I'm only on the first book, so yessss. Lumatere <3

message 2: by Meg (new) - rated it 5 stars

Meg standing ovation

WELL SAID.

Ellis Oh, and I don't think it's silly you sent her an email to thank her. I'm pretty sure many authors have found way weirder messages in their inbox. Plus, it's always nice to hear when your book impacted someone positively, I think.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

so much shipping right now...

message 6: by Liz* Fashionably Late (last edited Jan 02, 2015 02:45PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liz* Fashionably Late @Ellis You're so sweet (: I hope she doesn't think I'm a stalker or something.

@Kat More than my heart can handle ^^

message 7: by -ya (new) - rated it 4 stars

-ya You emailed her to say Thank You? That's just...COOL! This is the best trilogy in my bookshelf so far!! *fists pump* Awesome review, Liz!!

Liz* Fashionably Late Can you believe it, Ya? I mean, how excited and crazy do you have to be, right? ^^ It's kinda embarrassing now that I think about it but I'm with you, it's a great trilogy (:

Thanks, Ya!