Christopher Kellen's Reviews > Brood of Bones

Brood of Bones by A.E. Marling

bookshelves: fantasy, indie

Brood of Bones is the story of Hiresha, an enchantress with what appears to be narcolepsy. However, instead of treating this with humor (as so many works do), Mr. Marling treats it with the utmost seriousness. In fact, for Hiresha, it’s actually an advantage in her line of work — but I won’t go into any more detail so as to avoid spoilers.

In the past two months, I have undertaken to read five different books, and have finished none of them. With some of them I barely made it past the first few pages; with others, I read halfway through and bogged down in the middle. I’ve been finding it harder and harder lately to finish something that I just don’t like.

It took less than ten pages to draw me into Hiresha’s story, and once I was drawn in, I didn’t stop reading until I was forced to by outside influence — and then I went back as soon as humanly possible to find out how it ended.

Mr. Marling’s characters are deep, interesting and flawed. His world-building is fascinating at many points, including the introduction of the Bright Palms (who are essentially “paladins”, but with some very intriguing extrapolation added in). The stakes and challenges that Hiresha faces seem very strikingly real. Everything from the city of Morimound to the gods and the strange ally/adversary that Hiresha must deal with are engaging, fascinating and sometimes downright funny.

The ending of works has been a particular point of contention for me lately, and I am happy to say that Mr. Marling does not disappoint.

Brood of Bones is very well-edited and highly polished. I noticed only a few minor changes that I would have made in the usage of punctuation, but no typos and no obvious grammar mistakes. This is a book to make the indie fantasy movement proud.

Whether his next book returns to the city of Morimound, elsewhere in this fascinating world he’s built or a different place entirely, you can bet that I’ll be buying Mr. Marling’s next book on launch day.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brood of Bones.

Started Reading