mark monday's Reviews > TUNNEL / The Lost Diary

131922
Jun 26, 2012

bookshelves: unread-forever

Pooh Book

"Where do you get all these insults and nonsense? What did I do to you? An Author recommends you his books and that’s so terrible? You don’t have to accept him, this is a free country. By the way, large and small publishers do that all the time. Don’t you know that? If you knew how difficult it is to sell books you wouldn’t be spewing such idiotic remarks. You were offended? You must be joking."

Photobucket

"My books were rated ‘five stars’ by the top rated professional reviewers in the US like The Midwest Book Review, The US Review of Books, Apex Reviews. I did not ‘self-rate’ them, they were rated by professional agencies. Why didn’t you go to my website and find out my qualifications before writing your thoughts."

Photobucket

"Why do I go to different groups and try to get readers? Because the paid-for promotions do not work, they are just a waste of money. Do you get it? Asking people to read my books is not spamming. It becomes spamming if you ask the same person more than once. You don’t have to read them, you don’t seem bright enough to read them."

Photobucket

"Where’s the editing in my ‘profile’ so bad? What are you talking about? You must be on drugs."

Photobucket

"You seem to be an uneducated ‘who knows what’ and you dare critique me. I am a Professional Engineer in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Ohio and I hold a MS degree from the NY Polytechnic with nine A’s in a hard technical area. Also, I speak three languages. I think you are influenced by the fascist and communist trash. Of course, you could not figure it out, could you?"

Photobucket

"I did not spend my life scribbling idiot stuff (paranormal, etc.) that you ‘think’ is great writing. I was working as a professional man all over this country. They took your money and you didn’t even know it. They got wealthy and you got poorer. They are all laughing at you and your naïve buddies."

Photobucket

"Mind your own business, will you?"

Photobucket

real life authors-gone-wild type comments, courtesy of The Haters Club.

(view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read TUNNEL / The Lost Diary.

Started Reading
April 1, 1915 – Finished Reading
June 26, 2012 – Shelved
September 20, 2013 – Shelved as: unread
October 3, 2013 – Shelved as: unread-forever

message 1: by Megha (new)

Megha Whoa! Could you post a link to the thread where this fabulous exchange took place?
I will get some popcorn ready.

Esteban del Mal Isn't he the strangest little fellow? I could barely believe what I was reading when he melted down. I mean, I enjoyed it.

Immensely.

But still.

message 4: by mark (last edited Jun 27, 2012 12:26AM) (new) - added it

mark monday seriously, that thread was the best thing i read tonight. and your review led me to it! i was able to project all the rage i had built up today in my stymied need to fire a particularly incompetent staffer... project it right onto this author. now i feel so much cleaner, so much lighter. Steven Nedelton shenanigans lifted my spirits!

Esteban del Mal He reported me!

I feel like I've made a break for the Berlin Wall and a sniper's bullet will sever my spinal cord any second!

Wow. You get to fire people? It's probably for the best that I don't enjoy that privilege. I'd abuse it. I mean, I tell everybody that if I were the Hulk, I'd level a city block every time I got a hangnail. You can only imagine what I'd do if I could hand out pink slips.

message 6: by mark (new) - added it

mark monday i did! it's kinda awesome. my hate burned too strong, too fast... they had to protect themselves.

Esteban del Mal That's quite an achievement. I've pleaded with them to kick me out a few times, but they keep me around for their own amusement. I've tried to quit, but I always go back. Because, you know, the occasional crazy indy author stops by...

message 8: by mark (new) - added it

mark monday former msg 9 redacted. no, obliterated utterly. overshare!

message 9: by Richard (new)

Richard Derus I'd say "somebody needs a hug," but I fear the flames would engulf me, too.

message 10: by mark (last edited Jun 27, 2012 12:18PM) (new) - added it

mark monday aww, thanks! i am much better today, and actually feeling quite guilty about all the anger i had towards the incompetent staffer who skipped work person who turned out to have a pretty good reason for missing work yesterday.

message 11: by mark (new) - added it

mark monday Richard wrote: "I'd say "somebody needs a hug," but I fear the flames would engulf me, too."

oh wait, were you talking about my removal from THC? if so... really, no worries. i have no unresolved or sad feelings about that. i was a dick in that group, on purpose, and there's no denying that. if it was my group, I would have removed me.

although i will admit that sometimes i go back to that group's welcome/introductions thread just to read and guiltily enjoy the dozen or so shockingly venemous comments i made. awww, the inner me. such a meanie!

message 12: by Richard (new)

Richard Derus Heh. Well, on the work front, innocent until proven guilty...on the group front, so long as you're doing your dickcheese best to offend consciously, no shame in that game. Means you know what's coming and accept it as inevitable and don't care. Always a respectable attitude.

But what I meant was, that kind of fury can make a man feel isolated in the bubble of rage. The occasional "there there, pat pat* reminds me, when I get there, that other people are, in fact, real...what a concept...and has on me the same effect that a hand on the wall has on the whirlies.

message 13: by mark (last edited Jun 27, 2012 12:36PM) (new) - added it

mark monday Brian - well, i was pissed about a few things. the overuse of gay jokes. the racial stuff. the thread encouraging an annoying girl to off herself. er, the vote stuff. all of that combined into a seething desire to be a dick to everyone. however, as the lovely & empathetic Amber Geektastic discussed with me off-line, the gay & racial stuff (which were the two key things for me) should actually not be considered "offensive". it is tongue in cheek and it is between people who include a person of color and it is by people who are not genuinely homophobic (hopefully). so, except for the suicide thread, i really shouldn't have had such an ax to grind. me and my friends joke like THC with each other, all the time.

in my very weak defense, i did only say insulting things to folks who i felt were insulting to me first. still, no excuse... i went very low. very low indeed!

message 14: by mark (new) - added it

mark monday oh, and i also continually used the word "retarded" as a pejorative, which is sort of my kryptonite and something i have been unsuccessfully working on for who knows how long. not my most shining moments on GR! but, in retrospect, rather entertaining to contemplate and reread.

Esteban del Mal It's all for show over there. Most of them just bitch about their bunyans and such. The gay and racist stuff is actually used "ironically," so as to make fun of those who use it for reals.

Esteban del Mal I think you missed the "mark" (heh) with the vote stuff. THC had nothing to do with that.

message 17: by Richard (new)

Richard Derus No need for an excuse, mark. You did what you did because you felt justified. Now, you would do it differently, and get some context before going off on some people. The encouraging someone to suicide THREAD is asinine, and frankly unforgivable by any decent person's standards, so I gt your back there.

If you're feeling that you did things in an unjustified way, go apologize to the specific people you really feel you wronged. Otherwise, drop it from conscious awareness until you next get the angries. Then remember what made you feel crappy, and don't do it again.

But if you're wondering, you're still fabulous, funny, and snarktastic, which is why you're so much fun to watch....

message 18: by mark (new) - added it

mark monday Richard wrote: "Heh. Well, on the work front, innocent until proven guilty..."

definitely! it's just that this guy has pulled this so many times. ah well. there is also a lot of great things about this guy too, so i will just focus on that.

and yeah, i have moments, my bubbles of rage, but in general i'm not a person who can hold on to anger for too long a period of time. i find it boring to be pissed off, and i hate being bored.

message 19: by mark (last edited Jun 27, 2012 12:45PM) (new) - added it

mark monday Esteban wrote: "I think you missed the "mark" (heh) with the vote stuff. THC had nothing to do with that."

ha! i am so over that too. although it was why i actually joined the group in the first place, the vote stuff soon became the least of my inspirations for MARK SMASH GROUP NOW. also possibly because i have undying affection for Bird Brian. and vote stuff is petty stuff to me and impossible for me to take seriously in the long run or to even get irritated about in a long-lasting way. just too trifling.

well, there is this Elizabeth from Alaska lady in Feedback who continually irritates me with her vote-related commentary. in the long run. i mean, it's just so constant.

Esteban del Mal Yeah. The voting stuff is hard to stay serious about. I got caught up in it out of loyalty, but I could really give two shits about it.

And also yeah. That Feedback group could use an enema. A big Vodka enema. With some Prozac chasers.

message 21: by mark (last edited Jun 27, 2012 01:00PM) (new) - added it

mark monday you know what would be both fantastic and horrible? a Don't Like or Thumbs Down button. isn't that a Facebook thing? i dunno, GR is basically my only social media outlet and i feel behind the rest of the world, so maybe this is common.

anyway, think of the seething drama! the soap operatics! reviews that have more Dislikes than Likes! it would definitely be fantastic and horrible, for about 5 minutes.

Esteban del Mal I LIKE it. Maybe we should propose it to the Feedback Group?

message 23: by mark (new) - added it

mark monday Richard wrote: "But if you're wondering, you're still fabulous, funny, and snarktastic, which is why you're so much fun to watch..."

hey i just noticed this! thank you! but never fear, my precious ego is a huge and monstrous thing, and can take a few licks here and there.

message 24: by Richard (new)

Richard Derus Why do I not doubt you for a moment....

message 25: by mark (last edited Jun 27, 2012 01:29PM) (new) - added it

mark monday Bird Brian wrote: "Links!..."

meant to respond to this earlier, but had to go over to THC first and find all that shit. i also had to get over my feeling of sinking dread!

anyway, here's the thread where i was at my most vindictive (although i actually spread myself all over the place for the short period i was in there, including some polls that insulted the entire membership), starting with message #495 and with my last message #580:

part of me writhes at the idea of supplying a link that illustrates me at my worst. but hey, it's all public and most folks have a HULK SMASH side to them, sometimes, i assume. and so, well, it's hard to give enough of a flying fuckeroo to be truly, writhingly, embarrassed of my rare bouts of MARK SMASH.

message 26: by Richard (new)

Richard Derus mark wrote: "Bird Brian wrote: "Links!..."

anyway, here's the thre..."

I got a headache after #510. I'll never know what you did or said that was so heinous. Oh well.

message 27: by mark (new) - added it

mark monday ha! i gave you a migraine! i'm going to send over a box of chocolates and some aspirin, stat.

message 28: by mark (new) - added it

mark monday I think I even had a meltdown more recently than that, something about the Hunger Games, I think; I can't recall exactly...

ha! awww. that wasn't so bad. well, it was an often painful thread to read, but i don't think you were so bad in it. you were being real, and so were other folks. in some ways i blame that mess on basic miscommunication.

Esteban del Mal Brian scares me when he melts down. He's so top-heavy-reasonable that he goes balls out crazy. Think Spock when he wanted to fuck and (thought he) killed Kirk in that one Star Trek episode.

message 30: by mark (new) - added it

mark monday hottest Star Trek episode ever! and the beginning of decades of creepy fanliterotica.

message 31: by mark (new) - added it

mark monday apropos of a few messages ago, i've been going through some of the other THC threads. and holy smokes... i'm responsible for that nickname Retardis! it stuck! it fills me with guilt and queasiness (poor lass, did even her meanest comments deserve that?)... but yet it appears to be my lasting legacy in there. wow!

::writhes::

message 32: by mark (new) - added it

mark monday mi novia

message 33: by Jason (new)

Jason mark, this gets best comment award, though:

"WHAT IS WHORE FONT

i really want to know. is it the same as all caps? it shouldn't be. it should be something pleasing to the eye, yet kind of depressing too."

message 34: by Jason (new)

Jason You guys are so encouraging. I feel like I need to go on a verbally violent rampage myself just so I can fit in.

message 35: by mark (new) - added it

mark monday NO JASON NO NOT WORTH IT NO DON'T DO IT

wait a sec, you didn't think the part where i said something like "but you're right, i am needy... i need to feel your ass all around my fist" was the best comment? that's my own favorite in that gallery of shame!

message 36: by Jason (last edited Jun 27, 2012 06:17PM) (new)

Jason no, the whore one was def. better.

but wait, no one's commented on my comment to Justin having carved out his own Nietzsche. I thought that was so clever. Aww...

message 37: by mark (new) - added it

mark monday ha! i literally just laughed at that one about 5 seconds ago! Like.

message 38: by j (new)

j mark wrote: "well, there is this Elizabeth from Alaska lady in Feedback who continually irritates me with her vote-related commentary."

what a bitch.

message 39: by Miriam (new)

Miriam and i also continually used the word "retarded" as a pejorative, which is sort of my kryptonite and something i have been unsuccessfully working on for who knows how long.

message 40: by Jason (last edited Jun 28, 2012 10:05AM) (new)

Jason I use it, too. I've had one person dump me as a Facebook friend because of it. But I just chalked it up to her being too sensitive. No?

message 41: by Eh?Eh! (new)

Eh?Eh! BB, put those scissors down like a good, formerly-rabid boy.

Joel wrote: "mark wrote: "well, there is this Elizabeth from Alaska lady in Feedback who continually irritates me with her vote-related commentary."

what a bitch."

...I love how people go to that group with actual questions they're wondering about, actual problems that need addressing, and it almost never fails that she will comment with her opinion that it's stupid because she thinks it's stupid. When confronted, she'll be all 'it's my right to comment' or something equally useless. She's a thread clutterer, a strident one.

message 42: by Jason (new)

Jason My most recent run-in with her was most entertaining.

message 43: by Miriam (new)

Miriam I mean, if the definition of retarded is "less advanced than is usual for one's age" then why isn't it okay to call a situation "retarded" if it is similarly stunted? Am I a jerk?

That's kind of how I feel, too, but I try to not use it because I know some people mind, and not using it costs me nothing. There are more creative insults available.

message 44: by Jason (new)

Jason That's a good point, Miriam.

message 45: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Maybe I'll start substituting some classics like "simpleton" and "buffoon".

message 46: by Jason (new)

Jason I think I prefer your run-of-the-mill vaginal associations. “Twat.” “Douche.”

Esteban del Mal It's a hard habit to break, but I have managed. Besides, it's breathed new life into my use of "moron" and "jackass" (the latter which I am reclaiming from those Johnny-come-lately white trash motherfucking MTV twats).

message 48: by Jason (last edited Jun 28, 2012 10:43AM) (new)

Jason I wouldn't mind having someone explain to me, though, how “moron” is any different/better than “retard.”

Esteban del Mal Well, for starters, it and Mormon are phonetic cousins, so it's like a two-fer.

message 50: by mark (new) - added it

mark monday Miriam wrote: "I happen to have a really nice single friend who lives near you and is extremely passionate about this usage. I bet he could teach you in no time to stop saying it. Want I should introduce you, mark? ..."

well thank you for the offer! i regret/am happy to say that i currently have my hands full. although knowing my track record, the situation could change rapidly.

« previous 1