February For Weird Fiction The Haunted Reading Room's Reviews > A Night in the Lonesome October

A Night in the Lonesome October by Roger Zelazny

Jun 26, 2012

bookshelves: july-2012-reads
Recommended to February For Weird Fiction by: Lovecraft Ezine

I first selected this novel because it was highly recommended by Mike Davis of Lovecraft Ezine (http://lovecraftzine.com/?s=Zelazny). Since I had for decades been aware of Mr. Zelazny, but had never read any of his writings, I decided this allegedly Lovecraftian novel would be a superb introduction. So I stumbled onto this novel synchronistically, unsuspecting what a total delight it would be. Set in a very magical version of late 19th century Victorian England-balancing Jack the Ripper with Sherlock Holmes and his faithful Dr. Watson; Count Dracula; Rasputin; an evil vicar; a witch, an ancient druid-and the familiars of each, “A Night in the Lonesome October” is purely a lyrical delight. Told day by day through the monologue of watchdog Snuff, and his discussions with the other animal companions (and nightly discussions with his master Jack), the story of the Great Game unfolds-a battle between “openers” and “closers” to open the way-or to slam it closed-for the Lovecraftian Elder Gods to enter Earth once again. I am so enthused with this novel which I read in one brief setting that I’ve become a fan of the late Roger Zelazny and determined to read all his books. Better late than never, as they say.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Night in the Lonesome October.

June 26, 2012 – Shelved
July 1, 2012 – Started Reading
July 1, 2012 –
0.0% "Chose this for SciFi for the Shut Up & Read July Genre Challenge:) and because Mike Davis of Lovecraft Ezine so highly recommended it (and because it's 19th century Whitechapel)"
July 1, 2012 – Finished Reading