Zoe's Reviews > Waiting

Waiting by Carol Lynch Williams

Jun 26, 2012

bookshelves: 2012
Read in June, 2012

This book was breathtaking. It's the first book from Carol Lynch Williams that I've read, and I'm really sad that it's over. I read Waiting in an hour and a half, and it was an emotional hour and a half. London's love for her brother was so sweet and inspiring and the way his death affected her just made for a truly good, and real story.

I really liked the characters. At times, London annoyed me, but I got over it quickly. The whole book has a really dark undertone, especialy due to the novel being written in poetry form. However, the book was also surprisingly hopeful and occasionally bright. Along with grief, sexuality is also explored within the novel. London is caught in a love triangle between her brother's best friend, and the handsome new kid in town. That is what bugged me about her- that she was going behind both boy's backs. But part of me was still rooting for her, since both boys were sweet.

I really admire everything that London had to go through, and how she handled it. The journey she had to go through to get to where she was at the end of the novel was a long and painful one, but it was ultimately one of the best outcomes for her. The scenes toward the end of the book that were some of the staple moments in her journey were amazingly written. As the reader, I went through tens of emotions while reading those scenes, and they made for a truly great book.

I strongly reccomend Waiting. It's a really strong book, and explores a lot of topics that aren't always talked about together in young adult books.

FTC- ALA/Simon and Schuster.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Waiting.