Haruka's Reviews > The White Masai

The White Masai by Corinne Hofmann

Jun 26, 2012

Read from June 26 to July 01, 2012

Obviously the writing in itself is not the best. I thought about how much more intense the book could have been if the writing would have been more elaborate and more alive. If her relationship, emotions, moments and experiences with and of Lketinga would have been more deep and elaborate. If only her own personal opinions could have been elaborated more. If the depiction of Kenya and its people could have been more deep and elaborate. But at the same time, then it would not have been her story, and it is after all her story she tells, with her own way of telling a story, with her own words. The story in itself is incredible and beautiful in its core. Even though she acted in ways I was initially very turned off by reading, I gradually began to accept her and ultimately the most important thing that I remember or think of her, is how incredibly brave, fearless and bold she was to leave everything for Lketinga and love him so endlessly. Their love and connection was so beautiful. So, even though the writing I feel is not optimal, that is not what is of most importance of this book. The most important essence of the book is not the book itself, but the story she has to tell. And to tell such a beautiful lifestory as hers, is probably also very difficult, regardless of the writing. If one can simply appreciate and become moved by the story, I think you get the most out of it. I forgave the writing which could have been better and more stimulating, and I forgave every sort of nuisance I was annoyed about. Because the story is incredible.

When it comes to the inside look of the samburus' life and traditions, it offered some insights and information, but not extensively. I would have really appreciated to read more about them. But personally at this point, I don't care, because I will hold Corinne and Lketinga's love and relationship within me because of the freedom and incredible beauty it represents.

Concludingly, MOST OBVIOUSLY, there are a million topics, questions and discussions that surface from this book. The clash of cultures, the "lower standards" of women and what is right and, or wrong. But I don't find it as most important in describing my experience with the book. Because ultimately, I don't think there is a right or wrong in the book. No one was more to blame than the other in my opinion. They were simply different. Instead of focusing on what was wrong, the technicality of it and so on, I would rather focus on the incredible story it is. And that outweighs virtually everything. Even though the writing once again, was not the best, I am so grateful she actually decided to write a book, otherwise I would have never known of this incredible story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The White Masai.

06/26/2012 page 136
43.0% "I was on a book-garage sale yesterday and I went cmopletely crazy. I literally stuffed an entire backpack, and a very large bag with so many interesting books, paying virtually nothing. I found this book first, and I became so extremely excited to read it, it was precisely what I was looking for. And the photo of Lketinga on the cover is I think one, if not the most beautiful photo/picture I have ever seen."
06/26/2012 page 136
43.0% "I was on a book-garage sale yesterday and I went completely crazy. I literally stuffed an entire backpack, and a very large bag with so many interesting books, paying virtually nothing. I found this book first, and I became so extremely excited to read it, it was precisely what I was looking for. And the photo of Lketinga on the cover is I think one of or if not the most beautiful photo/picture I have ever seen."
show 4 hidden updates…