Marianne's Reviews > Courageous

Courageous by Randy Alcorn

Jun 26, 2012

This is a wonderful book based on the newest Christian film to come out of Sherwood Baptist Church in Albany, Georgia. In the same spirit of Fireproof and Facing the Giants, Courageous takes both the reader and those who watch the movie to the small town of Albany, Georgia and to the every day people who live there. Fireproof involved firefighters. Fighting the Giants involves the football team and fans. Courageous brings us into the lives of law enforcement officers. Each of the four primary law officers are from slightly different backgrounds but each is facing his own trials and tribulations.

When I read some of the other reviews I almost skipped the book and just watched the movie. However a Pastor friend of mine used the movie and the book for his men's group. When I discussed it with the men who had studied the book first and then seen the movie, they all advised me to read the book first. I am glad that I did as it helped add depth to the movie.

Possibly the movie was more powerful and more exacting than the book but most people are more visually stimulated. I tend to be drawn more into a book as I can read parts several times and see things I might have scanned too quickly before. With a movie, I rarely just go back and watch a certain chapter. Instead I watch the entire movie again.

I can see some points of the other reviewers but primarily, I was disappointed that several reviewers gave it one star or another said they would have given it no stars had that been possible. I feel they were being judgmental and highly critical, at best. Few books are closely similar to the movie. By the time a screen play has been rewritten and modified, it rarely is a replica of the original manuscript or vice versa.

I am aware that many churches are using the book and the movie as a course for both men and women groups and small groups. Since the movie only takes about 2 hours to watch, some people would rather just watch the movie. However many Christian leaders prefer the book as a study guide as it helps break down the key issues of the subject matter. The entire story deals with these men, the work, their homes and their loved ones. That these men make a stand for righteous God and family centered lives is proof enough that there are golden nuggets which can be found by the reader.

My prayer is that you read both the book and see the movie and rearrange your own life to be of the same moral fiber as the four men of this inspiring story?
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Courageous.