Natalie's Reviews > The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever

The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever by Julia Quinn

Jun 26, 2012

This was the first book of JQ that I had to wait to be released. I had discovered her Bridgerton series some years back, and thanks to the power of the internet, I was able to find them all.

I love JQ. I’ve enjoyed all of her books, this one included.

If you could tell there was a ‘but’ coming, you’re right.

I have to say I was a little disappointed with this book. For myself, I love for some reason, stories with one of the characters being secretly in love with the other character.

However, this book didn’t have any substance. I kept waiting for something to happen and really, nothing did.

Also, the ending was very…lukewarm. I won’t’ give away any spoilers, but this was the first of Quinn’s books I really rolled my eyes over. I can’t say more without giving it away, but I joke not when I thought to myself, “Really? Really?”

Ultimately, because of Miranda’s love for Nigel, I felt she was a little bit of a ninny at time, especially at the end. And the last few lines of the book were so…again, I use the word lukewarm. I expected something a little more…profound to happen.

And one last thing…JQ needs to please, please quit with the diary entries, written letters, etc. She’s trying too hard to re-capture the bloom of the Lady Whistledown Society Papers bit, and it’s just not working. I loved Lady Whistledown and sometimes wished those little notes from her could’ve continued, but it’s done. Finished. Kaput. Time to let Whistledown enjoy her retirement.

Overall, despite this review being entirely negative, I did enjoy the book because it was a JQ book. She’s one of my favorite authors and face it, a fan is not always going to like every book written by an author they love. I like JQ because of her characters and her writing style, among other small reasons too mundane to note. So pick up the book if you want a nice, comfortable read, just don’t expect this book to afterwards be put on a keeper shelf.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever.