Jolene Perry's Reviews > Sweethearts

Sweethearts by Sara Zarr

Jun 25, 2012

bookshelves: own, will-re-read, wish-i-wrote
Read in June, 2012

This book was SO unexpectedly awesome.
I just loved it.
All of it.
SO much that I might read it again.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweethearts.

Michael Burhans Have you read her other books? I loved this book, but actually think it is the weakest of her three. Not that I'd not have been thrilled to write ANY of them.

Jolene Perry Funny because I think I liked this one the best. I will READILY admit that it was exactly what I was in the mood for.

I didn't love all was lost, but I did really like Story of a Girl.

Michael Burhans LOL, as with all good books I think what separates a fav from one you merely loved is a matter of taste.

Story of a Girl was my first of hers. I read that because people wanted us to ban it from our library. There is almost no quicker way to get me to read a book then to tell me it should be banned. LOL I found Sarah Ockler, Sara Dessen, and Sara Zarr all three that way.

Needless to say we have their books on the shelves still.

Jolene Perry Michael -

GREAT story.

Every time I think about people wanting to ban books that I loved, I think about the movie Juno and how all these people were in an uproar over it glorifying teen pregnancy and all I could think was - did you SEE that movie, because it didn't look like fun...

Jo

Michael Burhans EXACTLY! People wanted to ban Twenty Boy Summer, and Story of a Girl because, "It promotes promiscuity." They wanted to ban Dreamland because it "Glorifies violence against women."

Just as your example with Juno (Perfect BTW) after reading them all I could think was, "Did you even read the book?"

All three of those books I shared with my teen daughter, and all three lead to good discussions about life.

We have a separate spot for teens at our library, their own library within a library, wi-fi, built in computers, a regular teen club with books (Also a coffee shop). Featured prominently in it now is a large display of books people have tried to ban throughout history, and lists of others. A very popular display I must say. Our youth librarians ROCK!