Anna's Reviews > Kindred

Oct 17, 2008

bookshelves: fiction, sci-fi-fantasy, historical
Recommended to Anna by: GEAR UP
Read in October, 2008

I'm finally done with this book and I'm really glad I took the time to read it. I am not really into historical fiction and have a hard time with sci-fi/fantasy (and this book involves time travel) but I read it because it was required for a workshop I was attending at a young adult literature conference. It took me a pretty long time to read it (possibly 8-10 hours in total?) even though it's only 260 pages because it was what I would call "heavier" or "denser" reading that required much more thinking than my typical fluffy YA reading list. But it was definitely worth it.

This is a really powerful story about so many things. Racism. Sexism. American history. Slavery. Rape. Mental abuse. Physical abuse. POWER. Who has it, who doesn't, and what does it mean? It's the first book I have read that's really gotten at what slavery and enslavement are in a way that's meaningful and relevant to me. The novel spoke to me because through the time travel bit it gave me a more meaningful context for reading a story from this time period.

It's a very powerful book and I urge people to give it a chance. It's not necessarily a difficult text but the content and ideas are going to slow down your reading and force you think about all of these complicated issues.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kindred.