Holli's Reviews > A Thousand Splendid Suns

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

Oct 17, 2008

bookshelves: book-group, historical-fiction
Read in September, 2008

I chose this one for our book group based on the success of The Kite Runner (which I haven't read yet!). This was a very good book, on several different levels. I really cared about the main characters, Mariam and Laila--as one group member said, she thought about them as she was going to sleep at night--so it made me want to know more about Afghanistan and U.S. involvement there. (How quickly we seem to forget that not so many years ago we were supporting the Mujaheddin who were also receiving support from Osama bin Laden!) Another group member commented that it was sobering to think that the events of this book were happening at the same time she was growing up, worrying about dates and clothes and being popular.
Even though the book deals with a difficult subject, Hosseini masterfully weaves beautiful images and motifs throughout the story (the image of the thousand splendid suns and the longing for peaceful, green spaces_--as well as a bit of poignant humor (Titanic Village).
Hosseini teaches us that in a society that oppresses and victimizes any of its members, even the oppressors become victims. He also bears witness to the goodness and dignity that exist even in life's worst situations.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Thousand Splendid Suns.