Alison's Reviews > The Space Between Worlds

The Space Between Worlds by Micaiah Johnson

bookshelves: dcpl_elibrary, fiction, my-tbr, poc-author

This was so good, just the kind of sci-fi that I like, where the world-building is accomplished by having the reader encounter the various constraints and rules of the world as the protagonist has to deal with them. So it's not a novel about how humankind has developed the ability to travel the multiverse, where the hitch is that if your doppleganger is still alive on that Earth, you're DOA. It's a novel about a woman who traverses multiverses for a living, and the slow burn of the questions about identity and self that she is forced to confront. I can see where this would leave some people dissatisfied - the science really isn't explained, and it touches on a lot of other topics that are somewhat under-explored (class, an in-group/out-group social structure, corporate violence, violence as control, etc). But the story just carried me right along, and I really enjoyed this. Highly recommend if this kind of thing piques your interest.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Space Between Worlds.

September 18, 2020 – Shelved