Becky Pliego's Reviews > Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life

Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott

Jun 25, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: read-in-2012, on-writing, literary

Lamott's writing advices are very practical and real good. However, you'll have to go through a mountain of theological lies to discover them. I will soon write a more thorough review on my blog.

And yes, because I want to understand why so many evangelical Christians love her, I just started reading another of her books: Traveling Mercies.

My review of these books is now up at my blog:

On a side note, and considering how liberal Lamott is, Albert Mohler has written a piece in which he critiques her support of euthanasia. You can read it here:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bird by Bird.

June 25, 2012 – Started Reading
June 25, 2012 – Shelved
June 25, 2012 – Shelved as: read-in-2012
June 25, 2012 – Shelved as: on-writing
June 25, 2012 – Shelved as: literary
July 2, 2012 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Kim (new)

Kim I tried to read it, and I stopped. I just couldn't do it.

Becky Pliego Kim wrote: "I tried to read it, and I stopped. I just couldn't do it."

Kim, I kept reading it because at least one person that I love much some how agrees with her in some areas and I needed to know I just kept reading until I finished it -that is also the reason why I am reading one more book by her; the book in which she narrates her "spiritual journey." -

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks so much, Becky. I've wondered the same things. I, too, tried reading Bird by Bird, but stopped.

message 4: by Kim (new)

Kim Sometimes, we have to read bad books for others. I'm reading a very bad book because someone asked me to read it for her.

Becky Pliego The review is now up, friends.

message 6: by Ashley (last edited Nov 03, 2012 08:52AM) (new)

Ashley The review on your blog is very helpful, Becky. Thanks for getting specific and pulling in quotes from Lamott herself -- sounds like this is definitely not a book for me.

Becky Pliego Your welcome, Ashley. I am glad it was helpful.

Jeffrey Oh CRAP - I just ordered this book, but once again, I did not know that it was laced with theological lies (why are such biases hidden from most book covers and reviews?). BIG SIGH.