Jacob Proffitt's Reviews > Dance to the Piper

Dance to the Piper by Nora Roberts

Jun 25, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: audible, romance, owned, steamy

This is the second of the O'Hurley series and first published over 20 years ago. And again, it serves to highlight Roberts' growth since that time. Unfortunately, it's also worse than its predecessor.

Maddy O'Hurley is the dancer of the family. Dance permeates her life, as does an innate optimism and willingness to see the best in people. And it's a good thing she does because Reed is a first-class jerk. The book tries to justify his jerkness by ascribing it to the “betrayal” of his mother when he was little. And yes, it was a pretty strong betrayal. Still, I just didn't buy it. The man was not just a cynic, he was unconscionably callus about his own pain, and, more importantly, to the pain he caused Maddy.

Maddy decides, early on, that she loves Reed. Unfortunately, there isn't much there in the way of justification for her devotion. It's just love-magic, I guess, and the reader is expected to just go along with that. It's unfortunate, because I really liked Maddy. Unfortunately, liking her made me dislike Reed all the more. Dissatisfying.

The one strength of the novel is, unfortunately, a huge spoiler. (view spoiler)

A note about audio: This is an early-ish audible work that seems like it was simply ripped from something earlier, still. Included with this is a theme that plays at every chapter break. That theme not only got old, fast, but it was, at times, ludicrously at odds with the drama of the moment. Bad, bad, bad.

A note about steamy: Typical Nora Roberts—a scene or two of explicit sex and occasional sexy dialogue.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dance to the Piper.