Andrea's Reviews > Code Name Verity

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth E. Wein

Jun 25, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, historical, youngadult

I admit I've been in a bit of a Britain-During-WWII kick ever since I read Blackout and All Clear by Connie Willis recently. Traditionally, I'm a little contrary about trying out historical novels, but I believe I'm going to have to change my tune, because this year I have been blown away by some great historical (and I'll admit a fair few time travel) novels.

One of the criteria I have for favorite books is not just that I enjoy the plot and the characters, but that the book has me revisiting and thinking about details and looking up new topics for a long time after I finish it. I'm afraid I tend to plow through books. I follow the plot straight through looking for ADVENTURE! and FRIENDSHIP! and GOODNESS! and I enjoy it, and I move on. Books that keep bringing me back to think about them again and again are unusual for me, and if I also love the characters and the writing then I have to count that as a GREAT book.

So this book, it's a GREAT book. The characters, I adore. The places are amazing. The writing it is beautiful. My heart, it is a little broken.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Code Name Verity.