Lukuoli's Reviews > The Hunt for Atlantis

The Hunt for Atlantis by Andy McDermott

U 50x66
Jun 25, 2012

did not like it

McDermott had a great idea for a novel but he managed to ruin it with bad writing, a predictable, conventional plot and characters that were even more conventional and predictable than the plot. Besides the plain and ordinary "easy to identify with" heroine with no super skills there was her professional mercenary protector, a classic annoying person - a character one knew from the first appearance was going to die for being so bloody annoying - and this unbeatable Indiana-Jones-on-amphetamine character who besides being an archaeologist, an architect and a martial arts ace is also spectacular with guns, an awesome acrobat and a designer of special diving suits - err, really realistic ...NOT. I've seen the same characters under other names in countless books (and films) and nothing made McDermott's characters stand out. Well written characters become the reader's friends but McDermott's characters left me cold and uncaring about their faiths.

I got the feel this was a soulless mass prodct, not the writer's work of love. With so many good thrillers and competition out there I'm amazed someone actually consented to publish something this weak. It's sad the book is so bad because all the ideas pertaining to Atlantis - the search, the clues, the history - were really convincing (to a person with no previous knowledge about Atlantis theories). It's just that all the good stuff ended there.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunt for Atlantis.

05/09/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Celine (new) - added it

Celine oh dear, i just started this book because someone i know liked it a lot, i only read 30 pages or so and started to be afraid it might be everything you mentioned up there... Have you tried the other ...8?

Lukuoli Celine wrote: "oh dear, i just started this book because someone i know liked it a lot, i only read 30 pages or so and started to be afraid it might be everything you mentioned up there... Have you tried the othe..."

I gave up on McDermott after this one so I don't know whether or not the books get better later in the series. However, the book has gotten several favourable reviews as well so apparently some people like it just fine. It just wasn't my cup of tea so to speak.

message 3: by Margaret (new)

Margaret I totally agree - gave up halfway through.

message 4: by Jam (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jam Sinclair just finished this book, i did enjoy it, and although your review is a little harsh, lol, i have to say i totally agree.