Kristalia 's Reviews > Unspoken

Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan

Final rating: 4.75/5 stars

unspoken

This was so sooooooooo good. I loved every part of it. Since i couldn't decide between 4 and 5 i decided it was going to be between. And it is only because i am type that craves for explanations and i didn't find enough of them in this book. For now, it is staying 5 stars as basic rating, because i feel it didn't belong with standard books.

I wanted to read it because it was written by Brennan. I loved her Demon's lexicon trilogy, and guess what, i love Unspoken even more! I love her sense of humor and her writing style! The book made me laugh so many times, i almost fell from the chair once. Also, it was deeply emotional, especially when looking from Jared's POV.

There was never part that bore me, and i liked that. I loved that it was from alternating pov and in third person. It always makes story more believable to me (i don't like being in people's heads, aka, first person point, or narration).

Forest deep, silent bells
There’s a secret no one tells
Valley quiet, water still
Lynburns watching on the hill
Apples red, corn gold
Almost everyone grows old.

I found that a little creepy. So we have mysterious family, who were once rulers of the city. Now they are coming back after many many years.
I was wondering what was wrong with the family. I even thought they might be vampires. Guess what, they aren't. Mwahahaha. They wouldn't walk on the sun if they were and they certainly didn't sparkle.

CHARACTERS :

Kami : was soooooo cool. I loved her. And she was interesting and funny. She shares mental connection with Jared, her imaginary friend, who guess what, goes in package with Lynburns. She thought she made him up, until she went into the elevator with him. That is when they both understood that they were in fact real people. I love her courage, and the fact that she was willing to investigate Lynburns and the town in general, even breaking into the offices and taking documents. Wow. She even has friends who will help her, and she is not miss popular type everybody must love me. She is just normal with voice in her head.

“If I wasn't going to be a world-famous journalist and if I didn't have such respect for truth and justice, I could be an amazing master criminal.”

I especially loved the part where she fell in the well, and Jared went to rescue her(I laughed soooo soooooooooo much):
“Honestly, Jared, one thing at a time. Why are you in the well with me? This is a really bad rescue!”
“You lost consciousness and slipped under the surface of the water!” Jared pointed out. “There was no time.”
“But now we’re both trapped! Now we’re both going to die!”
“No, we’re not,” said Jared. “I called the police as I was running to the well. I’m sure they’re coming.”
“Did they say they were coming?” Kami asked suspiciously. “Or did you shout ‘Kami’s in the well!’ and then jump in the well too, thus losing your phone and making sure that the police think it was some kids playing a dumb joke?”
Jared paused. He was breathing quickly, the dreamy part of Kami noticed, his chest rising and falling hard. She wasn’t sure if it was because he’d had to run so fast, because he’d had to dive to grab her, or if it was panic.
“Alternate plan,” Jared said. “Do you have a very intelligent collie who might communicate through a system of barks to your parents that little Kami is in the well?”
Kami closed her eyes and leaned her cheek against the wet planes of Jared’s collarbone.
“We’re going to die.” Something else dawned on her. “And where is your shirt?”
“Let me explain,” said Jared. “I had just gone to bed, like a reasonable person, when you decided to get tossed into a well like a crazy person. And then it was a matter of some urgency to reach you. You’re lucky I tripped over my jeans on the way out the door.”

Jared : I loved him. I understand him too. His father is dead, and his mother is the one who even blamed the fault on him. He was in fact, an outcast of the family, because his mother was never meant to marry his father. He is so so devastated that he has no one, while he has family. His sadness and closing to the world are especially shown in The Spring Before I Met You, where the only person who would talk to him was his imaginary friend Kami. Who was real person. Since he didn't have proper relationship with people, he often confused his feelings with something they are not. There was scene when his family went to dance in the rain, and he started to lose it, while Kami tried to give him support; I loved how she was always there for him, always taking his side.
“Listen to me. I don’t know what’s going on. I don’t know what any of this means. But I know this much. It doesn’t matter. You’re not one of them. You never were. You’re not theirs. You’re mine.”

OVERALL :

I loved the story in general. There were always funny moments, and always emotional ones. I loved the mystery, the killings and the Lynburns. It was interesting that the most of the things was explained in so-so logical way. I loved loved loved especially the scene with the wall between them. I loved that moment, and i think it was one of the best in the book.
There was a wall between them, but the wall of silence in Jared’s head wasn’t there anymore. Kami still did not quite dare to come to the place where their minds met, for fear of being shut out again. She skirted the edge of what he was feeling, and stretched out her hand so he could see it on his side of the stone wall.
After a moment, she felt the brush of Jared’s fingers against hers. The light touch of skin on skin made electricity crackle through her blood so that it burned and stung in her veins.
She had never been so aware of anyone in her life, or so uncomfortable.
Jared’s hand closed around hers, their fingers linking. From a careful touch of fingertips,they were suddenly both clinging as if the other had fallen off a cliff and they had to keep hold or risk them slipping away. Jared’s hand was a lot bigger than Kami’s, fingers callused.
It was just a boy’s hand, blood and flesh and bone, she told herself fiercely. It wasn’t such a big deal.

This review can be found on my blog: infinity-of-time.blogspot.com also known as...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unspoken.

June 24, 2012 – Shelved
January 11, 2013 – Shelved as: wishlist_series
February 25, 2013 – Shelved as: favorite-couple
February 25, 2013 – Shelved as: be-my-heroes-please
March 9, 2013 – Shelved as: age-young-adult

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)

message 1: by Kyle (new) - added it

Kyle I enjoyed your review! Someone else recommended this to me once; I'm still wondering if I'll like it or not.

Kristalia You should read it XD I think you will laugh like crazy (just like i did xD. Screw that, i laughed like a maniac). It has some plot holes, but it wouldn't be fun if everything was revealed in first book :D
Thanx btw ^_^

Blacky *Romance Addict* Fab review K :)

Kristalia ♥♥♥

message 5: by Dd (new) - added it

Dd Love this review!!I'm adding it!!:))

Kristalia Hehee, i am glad you did! You will love it for sure! Thanx ♥

Basuhi Nice review, Kristalia !

Going to add this to my TBR :)

Kristalia hehehee i am glad you did :D
YOU.WILL.LOVE.IT

Kristalia Soraya Naomi wrote: "Awesome review, babe! You're on a winning spree, I see many 5 star books! Yayyyyy!!! mwuahhh"

:D aahahaahhahahaa :D TNX <3
well, i give 5 stars only for books i REALLY love :D

message 10: by Debra (new) - added it

Debra Wonderful review, dear!! <3 Love the quotes...I might have to add this one too!! :-)

Kristalia You will love it! So you must add it <3
or else :D

message 12: by Debra (new) - added it

Debra Hehehe, adding it to my TBR now!!! ;-D

Kristalia excellent <3

Rosalinda *KRASNORADA* Great review, Kristalia! X

Kristalia Thanx dear :D

Feminista Great review Kris! :)

I so want to read this book now!

Kristalia oh you should ASAAAAAAAAAAAAAP ;)

Bipasha wow, that good? im deciding between everneath series n lynburn series for march...is this better?

Kristalia i dont like everneath so yeah try with this first :D

message 20: by Pang (new) - added it

Pang I'm going to read this! :D

Kristalia do it :D
but i can't guarantee for the other parts :(