Fr. Ted's Reviews > Against the Heresies 1

Against the Heresies 1 by Irenaeus of Lyons

U 50x66

it was ok

In general I really like the writings of Irenaeus. This book is part 1 of a trilogy needed to translate Irenaeus' Against the Heresies. If Irenaeus gives an accurate account of those he is opposing, it is an impressive amount of research. For me, the detail is too much as I'm more interested in what Irenaeus asserts as theology, than in the details and nuances of all the heretical claims he had to deal with. His response to them will come in the last two books. If you have an interest in knowing some of the many variations on Christianity were produced by various teachers, especially gnostics, Irenaeus provides a detailed summary of their beliefs. He does criticize them for contradicting each other, and their differences are many, though it seems to me many agreed on a basic point - the good God is totally transcendent beyond comprehension or in some cases even of being experienced by us. This good God is opposed to the God of the Jews who is viewed as evil. Often the gnostics had lesser gods create the world as that was beneath the dignity of God to have anything to do with creation/matter. Also they often make a distinction between Jesus and the Christ, usually some form of adoptionism where Jesus is adopted by the "creator" or "the Christ" comes to rest on or abide in Jesus but the two still remains separate with the Christ being the spiritual man and Jesus the human/physical man.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Against the Heresies 1.

September 15, 2020 – Started Reading