Jill's Reviews > The Lovesick Cure

The Lovesick Cure by Pamela Morsi

3820197
Jun 24, 2012

bookshelves: contemporary-romance

"We can't have sex in Aunt Will's rocking chair," Jesse declared.

"Absolutely not," Piney agreed, solemnly. "Totally inappropriate. What would you think about bending over the kitchen table?"

When Jesse Winsloe loses her job as an earth sciences teacher and her fiancé to another woman, she heads to the small town of Marrying Stone in the Ozarks to spend time with her Aunt Will. An old time healer or "granny woman", Aunt Will uses herbs as remedies for all types of ills, including lovesickness. For six nights straight Jesse has to endure the vile-smelling lovesick poultice plastered to her chest.

Erwin Frederick (Piney) Baxley, Jr is a single father to a seventeen year-old. His work as a physician's assistant is fulfilling, but it's difficult in a small town to find romance where everyone knows everyone else's business. So perhaps a fling with Jesse might be just the thing they both need for the short time she's there.

If Marrying Stone sounds familiar it should to anyone who's read Pamela Morsi's Marrying Stone and Simple Jess, two of Ms Morsi's earlier Americana titles. This one is set in contemporary times and there are quite a few references to characters and events in these earlier books for fans. However, The Lovesick Cure can be read as a stand-alone. Jesse, our heroine is named for Jess the titular hero of the wonderful Simple Jess.

There's a secondary romance with Piney's son, nicknamed Tree (he's six feet six) and his girlfriend. Tree is as delightful as his father, thoughtful and mature for his age, despite a load of concerns on his young shoulders. There's a really great scene when Tree finds out that Piney has a friends-with-benefits deal going with Jesse. The roles are reversed with Tree dragging the truth out of Piney about his sexual relationship.

Pamela Morsi's stories are a reminder of why I love to read romances so much. She is one of my favourite romance authors. Her characters though not perfect are imbued with goodness. Her stories are simple, quiet, charming. For anyone who has enjoyed Ms Morsi's earlier Americana titles, or anyone who loves a gentler romance, or a setting that's completely different, this one's for you.

...thrusting out of the hillside behind it, was a stunning geological feature.
"The Marrying Stone? So it's not just a name, it's an actual rock feature?" [...}

"It's a magic place," Aunt Will told her, a little more quiet than necessary. "Most of the magic that takes place around here comes from there."

Steam: 2.5

ARC courtesy of Harlequin (Mira) via NetGalley

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lovesick Cure.

Keri I requested this one, but got turned down. I need to beef up my profile. I think that is why I am getting turned down so much.

KatLynne Keri wrote: "I requested this one, but got turned down. I need to beef up my profile. I think that is why I am getting turned down so much."

Hope you don't mind my jumping in on this conversation Keri...but a friend here at GR told me you can request a book more than one time. So, after being denied Lucky in Love, I waited a week and requested again. And it worked:)! Maybe if you waited and then request again you could be approved for this one. I'll keep my fingers crossed:)!

KatLynne Glad you liked this Jilly and look forward to your review.

Jill Keri wrote: "I requested this one, but got turned down. I need to beef up my profile. I think that is why I am getting turned down so much."

@ Keri
Imo an up-to-date profile definitely helps. I regularly tweak my profile at NG and usually get the ARCs I request.

And KatLynne is right, sometimes you have to 2nd or 3rd request an ARC.

Jill KatLynne wrote: "Glad you liked this Jilly and look forward to your review."

@ KatLynne
Thankyou and I'll post closer to release date.

message 6: by Marty (last edited Jul 28, 2012 10:12AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Marty Great review, Jill. I really like P. Morsi's Americana titles (esp. Simple Jess) but I haven't tried her contemporaries, yet. This one sounds good, though...

message 7: by Baba (new)

Baba  Wonderful review, Jill!

message 8: by Karla (new) - added it

Karla Lovely review Jill. This sounds like a book I would enjoy!

message 9: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Wonderful review, Jill.

message 10: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Marty wrote: "Great review, Jill. I really like P. Morsi's Americana titles (esp. Simple Jess) but I haven't tried her contemporaries, yet. This one sounds good, though..."

Thanks Marty! If you do read one of PM's contemps than this one is a good bet. I haven't enjoyed her other contemps quite as much as this one. It may be due to its association with Marrying Stone and esp Simple Jess, one of my fav romances ever.

message 11: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill @ Baba, Karla & Kristen
Thank you all so much!

KatLynne Fantastic review Jilly! I'm so excited to have this one up next to read:)

message 13: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill KatLynne wrote: "Fantastic review Jilly! I'm so excited to have this one up next to read:)"

Thanks KatLynne! Look forward to your review! I just love this author.

message 14: by Keri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Keri Great review! Thanks ladies for the tips. I will keep that in mind. Looking forward to this one. Having read anything by PM for a long time, but she used to be a go to author for me.

message 15: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Keri wrote: "Great review! Thanks ladies for the tips. I will keep that in mind. Looking forward to this one. Having read anything by PM for a long time, but she used to be a go to author for me."

Thanks Keri! Hope you enjoy this one.

Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister Lovely review, Jill! Sounds like my cuppa tea :)

message 17: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Kris wrote: "Lovely review, Jill! Sounds like my cuppa tea :)"

Thanks Kris. I'm kind of tiring of the books I've been reading lately and long for some of the older-style novels that focus more on the romance and the growing relationship.

I hope you enjoy this as much as I did!

~ Becs ~ Lovely review Jill - great quotes.

message 19: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Thanks Becs!

KatLynne Jilly, I keep coming back to your lovely review. This gentle read just keeps staying in my head. Much like my L.Spencer reads:) Thank you again for pointing out this author to me. I'm really looking forward to the Marrying Stone and Simple Jess.

message 21: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill KatLynne wrote: "Jilly, I keep coming back to your lovely review. This gentle read just keeps staying in my head. Much like my L.Spencer reads:) Thank you again for pointing out this author to me. I'm really lookin..."

Oh, thanks KatLynne! It is a gentle, sweet read. And I'm so glad you loved it. Pamela Morsi has been a fav author of mine for a while.

I'm pretty sure you'll really like Marrying Stone and hopefully love Simple Jess, since you've really enjoyed TLC.

I'm just so glad we can share great books and authors! And it's really nice to know that the recs I've given have been memorable reads.

message 22: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Nice review, Jill! Sounds like a really sweet and romantic read.

message 23: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Kelly wrote: "Nice review, Jill! Sounds like a really sweet and romantic read."

Thanks Kelly!

message 24: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen I was hoping this sequel would include Jesse and Althea, from Simple Jess, but the synopsis says it's set in modern times. Do we find out more about their marriage, maybe stories from old Granny Will?

message 25: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Kathleen wrote: "I was hoping this sequel would include Jesse and Althea, from Simple Jess, but the synopsis says it's set in modern times. Do we find out more about their marriage, maybe stories from old Granny Will?"

J&A have passed on....*sniff*....and yes, it's a modern setting. There are a number of lovely references to Meg and Jess, their partners, their lives and MS in general. Not a huge amount of detail, but enough for a fan like me to be pretty happy!

This is lovely, Kathleen and worth reading imo, esp since you know the background to this story and are a fan of MS and SJ.

message 26: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Okay, then. Adding it. I want to hear those references to Jess and Maggie et al. And Morsi really cannot write a bad book, as far as I can tell. :)

message 27: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Kathleen wrote: "Okay, then. Adding it. I want to hear those references to Jess and Maggie et al. And Morsi really cannot write a bad book, as far as I can tell. :)"

I've read almost all of PM's books. I LOVE most of them. A few of her women's fiction ones were okay. This one is my fav of hers set in a modern era.

message 28: by ... (new)

... Ohhhh I'm intrigued, Jill. Great review!

message 29: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Bri wrote: "Ohhhh I'm intrigued, Jill. Great review!"

Have you read any of Pamela Morsi's stories, Bri? She's best known for her Americana set in smalltown America at the turn of the 20thC.

Her stories will not suit everyone. They're gentle, charming with just a little heat. But I'd be really interested to see if you like this one!

message 30: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen I haven't read her women's fiction. I generally don't. I liked Something Shady, Marrying Stone, Simple Jess, Wild Oats, Garters, and several more.

message 31: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen I think of Morsi as Susan Elizabeth Phillips in an earlier era, with homespun and calico.

message 32: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Kathleen wrote: "I haven't read her women's fiction. I generally don't. I liked Something Shady, Marrying Stone, Simple Jess, Wild Oats, Garters, and several more."

I love all her early titles as well, Kathleen. PM lost me a little when she left her Americana setting. But I really loved this as it was written in a similar vein and obviously a similar, but more modern setting.

I'm not sure I see SEP as 'homespun and calico' though I love her titles. But PM definitely. :)

message 33: by Geri Reads (new)

Geri Reads Lovely review, Jill.

message 34: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen No, SEP is not homespun and calico. Morsi is. So, I see Morsi as SEP but in homespun and calico. Not so glitzy, more understated, no Hollywood legends, but the same kind of community spirit.

message 35: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Geri's ~ EverAfterRomance ~ wrote: "Lovely review, Jill."

Thanks Geri! :)

message 36: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Kathleen wrote: "No, SEP is not homespun and calico. Morsi is. So, I see Morsi as SEP but in homespun and calico. Not so glitzy, more understated, no Hollywood legends, but the same kind of community spirit."

Gotcha! Yes, I agree, Kathleen. I LOVE that lady's writing! Lol!

message 37: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Yup! :D

message 38: by Dorine (new) - added it

Dorine Great review, Jill! Seeing all this chatter about this one made me put it on my wishlist. I've never read anything by Pamela Morsi - is this one a good one to start with?

message 39: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Dorine wrote: "Great review, Jill! Seeing all this chatter about this one made me put it on my wishlist. I've never read anything by Pamela Morsi - is this one a good one to start with?"

It all depends what sort of book you're after, Dorine. PM is probably best known and loved for her Americana titles that are set in smalltown America at the turn of the 20thC.

She went on to write contemporary women's fiction (with romantic elements) that were good, but I'm not much into WF.

This one TLC, is a contemporary but with a return to the setting in the Ozarks, so though the era is modern it has a similar feel to her Americana which I loved.

All to say, if you're looking for a CR, this is her best one imo. :)

message 40: by Dorine (new) - added it

Dorine The Ozarks/Americana is what appealed to me so I think I'll try this one and see where it leads me. Thanks so much, Jill!

message 41: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Dorine wrote: "The Ozarks/Americana is what appealed to me so I think I'll try this one and see where it leads me. Thanks so much, Jill!"

No problem! Love to see what you think, Dorine! :)

message 42: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Just FYI, this is the last book in a series, with book 1 -- Marrying Stone

message 43: by Dorine (new) - added it

Dorine Kathleen wrote: "Just FYI, this is the last book in a series, with book 1 -- Marrying Stone"

Thanks for the info, Kathleen! Much appreciated :)

willaful You don't really need to have read the previous books - but they're worth reading.

message 45: by xrysa (new) - added it

xrysa Hahahaha I love the first quote :D
Great review Jill !!

message 46: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen I actually prefer books 1 and 2, especially book 2, Simple Jess. As Willaful said, you don't need to read the series. There are some references to prior books you would miss, but no big deal.

message 47: by Dorine (new) - added it

Dorine Kathleen wrote: "I actually prefer books 1 and 2, especially book 2, Simple Jess. As Willaful said, you don't need to read the series. There are some references to prior books you would miss, but no big deal."

Thanks, Willaful and Kathleen -- I read the reviews on all three and decided I had to have them all. My Nook happily downloaded them last night :D Thanks for all the input everyone, it really helped.

message 48: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill kristina wrote: "Hahahaha I love the first quote :D
Great review Jill !!"

@ kristina
Thanks kristina! :)

message 49: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Dorine wrote: "Kathleen wrote: "I actually prefer books 1 and 2, especially book 2, Simple Jess. As Willaful said, you don't need to read the series. There are some references to prior books you would miss, but n..."

@ Dorine
Look forward to your thoughts on all three books, Dorine! :)

message 50: by Louise (new) - added it

Louise Great review Jill!:)