Bill Kerwin's Reviews > Pride and Prejudice

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

A quintessential novel of manners. Fine moral intelligence and subtle psychological insight expressed in a straightforward, epigrammatic style. I read it for the first time forty years ago, and I am still half in love with Eliza Bennet.

Started Reading
July 1, 2007 – Finished Reading
July 26, 2007 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)

message 1: by Jon (new)

Jon Only half? We named our daughter after her.

message 2: by Bill (last edited Oct 29, 2011 05:04PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bill  Kerwin I willingly admit my failure as a perfect lover. But after all, I am married too, and my loyalty--alas!--must be divided!

Lada yes a very good character of Elizabeth a sensible and romantic one best of both worlds

Haikufall Bill wrote: "I willingly admit my failure as a perfect lover. But after all, I am married too, and my loyalty--alas!--must be divided!"

That's very sweet of you to say.

Lada This Elizabeth Benett is fine, perspicatiouys and witty independant and sensible but sensitive also. Something in between Marianne and Elianor in Sense and Sensibility

Sahel Of all the people I never thought you would rate this a 5-star, and I just don't know why! But now that you like it, I feel my interest in this novel wasn't really for nothing :-)

message 7: by Dirk (new)

Dirk Being a bookish fellow, I've always believed that if I were introduced into the Bennett household, I would've headed straight for Mary.

Bill  Kerwin Dirk wrote: "Being a bookish fellow, I've always believed that if I were introduced into the Bennett household, I would've headed straight for Mary."

Boy, aren't we intellectuals! I mean, most guys are arguing about "Gilligan's Island": is it Ginger, or Mary Ann?

message 9: by Dirk (new)

Dirk I think you're dating ourselves. Real guys are debating about Beyoncé versus Kim Kardashian.

message 10: by Bill (last edited Apr 20, 2016 11:53AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bill  Kerwin Dirk wrote: "I think you're dating ourselves. Real guys are debating about Beyoncé versus Kim Kardashian."

Who?

But those babes in the old novels and plays, they live forever.

Gloria It's been at least seven years and I still am more than half in love with Captain Wentworth. Guess I'm more of a Persuasion girl, though Mr. Darcy will always be a favourite!

Anuradha And I aspire to be Elizabeth Bennet! :D

message 13: by Jane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jane Jago Once famously describes as a young man changes his manners and a young woman changes her mind. But so much more than that...

Lawrence FitzGerald On the short list for the best novel in English.

Michael Perkins And an astute observer of people.

message 16: by Sara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara Oh I wish I was Elizabeth Bennet!

message 17: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann Schwader Wonderful to see so many male (as well as female) comments on this brilliant novel. Thanks to all who have posted!