Asra's Reviews > City of Fallen Angels

City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Clare

Jun 24, 2012

bookshelves: favorites, 2013-reads
Read from March 01 to 06, 2013

It’s no secret that I’m ,a big fan of Cassandra Clare’s The Mortal Instruments series.The Mortal Instruments series was originally planned as a trilogy so book three, City of Glass, ended with everything tied up beautifully. I was happy, all my questions had been answered and was well prepared for protagonist Clary to live her happy ever after.So when I learnt that Clare had in fact wrote book number four, I was a little bit divided in my thoughts. As a fan, of course I wanted more from this series but on the other hand, what if another book ruined the trilogy I have a lot of admiration for?I eventually couldn’t resist any longer and knew I had to get more from The Mortal Instruments.

I must point out that newcomers to this series, you’re in for a treat but don’t start here. This is a complex world with just as complex characters so begin with book one, City of Bones. Reading this review might spoil a few things for you otherwise.

City of Fallen Angels picks up six weeks from where City of Glass left off. The Mortal War in Idris is over and life is finally getting back to normal for Clary Fray and her friends. Clary has started her Shadowhunter training and at last, she can call herself the girlfriend of Jace. Her Mam has found love too and preparations are underway for a wedding. All is well…

Wait a minute! This IS The Mortal Instruments right? Everyone knows that in this complex world, things never go to plan. So, it comes at no surprise when problems begin emerging. Shadowhunters are being killed and the person responsible is unknown. Clary’s best friend Simon is being attacked by figures in hoods and is being sent mysterious messages. Despite finally being able to be with Clary as he has always wanted, Jace is instead pulling away from her. Clary thought all the hard work was over when her Father was killed but it seems as though the real hard work is only just beginning…

Starting City of Fallen Angels, it was immediately clear that Clare had taken a new direction with the series. The first three instalments were told from protagonist Clary’s viewpoint alone but in this instalment, readers also get the viewpoints from some of the other characters. Most prominently, readers hear a lot from Simon in this book. I really welcomed this change. Not only was a refreshing change to the series, it also allowed me to understand more about Simon and his life.

All the characters I have grown to love in the first three instalments are back, with some new ones too. Some featured more so than others. Fans of Alec and Magnus may be a little bit disappointed that there is only a brief appearance from the pair, but it is of course, as magical as ever. Isabelle is her usual feisty self and I can’t fault her at all, I love her. Then of course, there is Clary. As with the first three instalments, I can’t really say I dislike her. I do hold a lot of respect for her. However, I am glad that she kind of took a step back in this book as it gave Simon a chance to shine. I don’t know, maybe I would have grown a bit tired if it was strictly Clary’s viewpoint. Last but certainly not least, I move onto Jace. Ahhh Jace, I heart you a lot, you know that right? I just wish you’d been a bit more forthcoming about what was happening with you in this book. It doesn’t seem like Clary and Jace are ever going to get the happy ever after I think they deserve. I wish they could just catch a break for once.

As I have come to expect from Clare, her writing is beautiful. I immensely admire her ability to create a plot that is bursting at the seams with both action and emotion. The pacing was spot on. For quite a long book, I never once was bored. I flew through the pages.

So, am I glad that I continued with the series? Most definitely so. Ok, I admit it wasn’t my favourite book of the series so far but I got exactly what I was hoping for: more time with some of my favourite characters from the Young Adult genre. The ending presented a HUGE cliff hanger and maybe I’d be annoyed with that if it wasn’t for next instalment, City of Lost Souls, sitting on my bookshelf already.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Fallen Angels.