Susanna - Censored by GoodReads's Reviews > The Lady in the Tower: The Fall of Anne Boleyn

The Lady in the Tower by Alison Weir

Jun 24, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: british-history, history, biography, tudor, renaissance, women

In medias res start, which is interesting.

Later: OK, this one has more "she must have known" "it must have occurred to them" etc. than her bio of Eleanor of Aquitaine, whom we know much less about than we do Anne Boleyn.

Very 'eh.'

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lady in the Tower.

June 24, 2012 – Started Reading
June 24, 2012 – Shelved as: renaissance
June 24, 2012 – Shelved as: women
July 4, 2012 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Mary (new)

Mary How do you like it?

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads Not that far into it yet, but interesting.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads Mary, for Anne Boleyn I'd still far rather go with Antonia Fraser's The Wives of Henry VIII, which is excellent.

This one just didn't grab me.

message 4: by Mary (new)

Mary Thanks for the review. Have a couple Claire Ridgway on my list, hope they're better than your Weir. Too bad, she's usually pretty good.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads Yep. Ah well, more books on the pile. Next one is probably also Tudor: Bring Up the Bodies.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads Yep, Bring Up the Bodies is much better for an Anne Boleyn fix.

Hannah I grew rather fond of Cromwell through reading the Wolf Hall series, and was disappointed in Weir's demonizing of him in this book. Call it Mark Rylance's irresistible simper in the TV series, but I sympathize with Cromwell!