Kristin's Reviews > Wives and Daughters

Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell

bookshelves: books-i-own, audiobooks

I really enjoyed this a lot more than I expected to! I've watched the mini series several times before and always liked it, but not nearly as much as the other adaptations of Gaskell's works like North and South and Cranford. (But when I read those books years ago, I didn't actually enjoy them as much as I thought I would.)

This was by far the longest audiobook I've ever listened to...27 hours! (It did end up being slightly shorter than that though, since I listen at 1.25x speed.) I decided to listen to the audiobook because the physical copy is huge and intimidating. I was sucked in almost immediately though. I thought I didn't remember much from the mini series but things kept coming back to me as I read.

It takes a certain kind of person to appreciate this book: someone who doesn't mind rambling, detailed stories about everyday families in the English countryside. But the characters here are so enthralling and there are enough little twists and small dramatics to keep things interesting! So yes, I enjoyed it quite a bit. Now off to rewatch the mini series!

{I knew that the novel was unfinished, so I didn't find the end very jarring. I liked the little informational chapter tacked on by the editor. I'll just choose to acknowledge the ending of the mini series since that seems to be where Gaskell was heading!}

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wives and Daughters.

June 24, 2012 – Shelved