Jolene's Reviews > The Scientists: A Family Romance

The Scientists by Marco Roth

Jun 24, 2012

bookshelves: elle-readers-club
Read from June 24 to August 22, 2012

Marco Roth is a gifted writer.

I read this around the same time as Winter Journal. I would say it's not too far-fetched to think about Roth as a young Paul Auster.

I would also argue that Roth has discovered the molecular formula of narrative success. I'm not saying he's discovered it in the way Alexander Fleming discovered penicillin. I'm saying he's discovered it the way PhD students in biology discover what their cells do in the assays they run. Roth knows how to hold a reader's interest. He knows how to tell a story in a way that engages an audience.

This book has also stoked my interest in Oblomov (Goncharov) and Bakharov (Turgenev).

A great family history--written by a very talented writer.

Highly recommended--I'm conflicted about giving it 5 stars, but in my heart, I feel that this book was amazing (and I really liked it).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scientists.

06/24/2012 page 80
38.0% "A great read! I enjoyed the early science sections (very well done) and I find the author's rendering of his childhood, adolescence and college years to be earnest. He doesn't wallow in self-pity and he has more reasons than most to wail and complain. This book is refreshing--I wish more memoirs were written like this one."
07/08/2012 page 14
7.0% "I am re-reading this and I find the overture to be a fantastic piece of work in and of itself.
Great writing!"

message 1: by Lucy (new)

Lucy Nathanson the fact that you mentioned him in the same sentence as paul auster [whom i adore] & winter journal [which i loved], will give me enough impetus to read this. thx.

Jolene Sure Lucy--I checked out your reading shelf. You read a lot of Auster and I may pick up Chabon after your review. Best, J