Getting Lost In Words's Reviews > The Concubine's Gift

The Concubine's Gift by K. Ford K.

Jun 24, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: on-my-shelf, bones-read

One word sums The Concubine's Gift in its entirety. Elegant. From the opening flashback to the ending scene to the dialogue and the cover. I was having the hardest time describing the mood of CG, Concubine's Gift, until I was drawn into the intricate layers of Blissful Night's makeup. Much of the reading drew me in. I'd get settled in bed and suddenly I was fifty pages ahead and the sun was meeting the horizon. Speaking of the bed, this novel is definitely under the covers. While the sexual scenes are (once again) elegantly written, I would encourage you to read them away from large crowds. If you were a town-member of Valentine, this book could only be explored in the safe quarters of your room. The town was extremely populated and it seems they were always together. Including, Bernice Babbitt and her charming family. Together, they run the town's motel. You must imagine the people you would encounter. Take that feeling and heighten it by five; that's the feeling Bernice received every time she saw someone's sex life. Her internal delimma was the struggle between being shying away from sex and accepting it. For that, I thought she was a realistic - enjoyable character.

The love interest of this novel in my opinion is Valentine. Yes, the town. How can you be in love with a town Bones? In the beginning, Bernice was having difficulty with her ability to assists other on their love lives. The town turned to turmoil as well. However, Valentine (and Bernice) progressed to accepting and channeling her gift. In my opinion, though it's silly, Bernice's love is with the town. She hadn't participated in town meetings or the rumor mill.

My favorite aspect of reading besides reading is cover symbolism. I love picking the simplest aspects of a cover and applying it to the book. For example, glance at the font title. See how "The Concubine" is almost aristocratic and black while "Gift" is flowly and majestic? To me that symbolizes Blissful Night. Without her gift, Blissful Night would be her simple loving self. However, with her gift, she became wild, luxurious, and the greatest concubine of all time.

While I enjoyed reading CG, I couldn't connect with most personalities. One theory for my disconnection is the distraction I found in the chapters. I found it hard to focus on Bernice when descriptions of everything were being tossed my way. Every so often, I'd had to reread passages in order to gain the important content. I think once I reread the novel more will make sense to me.

You may have begun to realize that the Concubine's Gift is quite unique from the realm of literature I explore. Now as a review blogger, I'm beginning to notice the juiciest fruit are the books you would have never thought to buy in the store. So while I'm giving the Concubine's Gift a three, I wouldn't trade my novel experience for anything. If you love detailed scenes and a sea of characters, the people of Valentine, Nevada were created just for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Concubine's Gift.

Started Reading