◕ ◡ ◕ Arooj 's Reviews > The Indigo Spell

The Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead

Jun 24, 2012

bookshelves: covers-to-die-for, own, books-i-fell-hard-for, kickass-protagonists, favorites, want-to-re-read
Read from February 21 to 25, 2013

HOLY FUDGE!

I loved this book. I can't even properly express how much. I want to eat it.

Ok. Guys. I'm not even going to talk about the plot or the story or anything like that, because we all already know it's awesome. I mean, it's Richelle Mead. We know the plot is kick ass with all the twists and turns and the action and the magic. So there's no need to discuss them. What I will discuss, though, is...

...SYDRIAN!

I'm just so freaking happy right now. This book shouldn't be called "The Indigo Spell", rather "The SYDRIAN Spell" because this whole book was just FULL of Sydrian goodness. Sydney and Adrian, my god, they are just the perfect couple. I loved each and every one of their swoon-worthy moments. I don't even know which one was my favorite; the wedding scene, the sorority scene, the Velvet room scene, Adrian's dream scene, or that super awesome spazz inducing museum scene near the end. Try not to read this book in public, because just like me, you'll be squealing over and over again.

And can I just say how much I absolutely love Sydney? She's just so different than other main female characters. I can't pin point exactly what it is about her that makes me love her, she's just...awesome. She doesn't make stupid mistakes. She definitely isn't annoying. And she's so bad ass that she even scared me a couple of times. And she changes A LOT in this book. I can't wait to read the next book and see this new Sydney! GAH!

Oh, and my Adrian. My beautiful, beautiful Adrian. It's kind of embarrassing how deep my infatuation is with him. He's just...I can't even explain it. I'm glad he learned from his mistake from the past with Rose and I loved how determined he was to get Sydney. I was half afraid that all he would do is get drunk and feel sorry for himself. BUT NO! Adrian is a changed man. And I can't help but love him more and more. I want to marry him. I mean, I want Sydney to marry him as well, but we can all live happily together, right? Right. (Yes, you're definitely obsessed Arooj.)

The ending...GAH! I was all, "YES! YES YES YES YES YES!" but then something happened, and I was all "NO! NO NO NO NO NO!". There's no cliffhanger, thank god, but lets just say something unexpected comes up.

Oh, and I so want an official AYE shirt made by Adrian. I'd wear it forever and never take it off. (There you go, being all obsessed again...)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Indigo Spell.

Quotes ◕ ◡ ◕ Arooj Liked

Richelle Mead
“We need to get inside. I think my hair gel’s frozen.”

Richelle Mead
“Adrian's face was the picture of perfect politeness and restraint, meaning something disastrous was about to happen.”

Richelle Mead
“Under normal circumstances, you inviting me to the bedroom would be the highlight of my day.”

Richelle Mead
“Do you want me to call you Celery Stick instead of Cupcake or Honey-Pie? It just doesn’t inspire the same warm and fuzzy feelings.”

Richelle Mead
“This wasn’t the first time I’d been pulled out of bed for a crucial mission. It was, however, the first time I’d been subjected to such a personal line of questioning.

“Are you a virgin?”

Richelle Mead
“Adrian looked over at me again. “Who knows more about male weakness: you or me?”

“Go on.” I refused to directly answer the question.

“Get a new dress. One that shows a lot of skin. Short. Strapless. Maybe a push-up bra too.” He actually had the audacity to do a quick assessment of my chest. “Eh, maybe not. But definitely some high heels.”

“Adrian,” I exclaimed. “You’ve seen how Alchemists dress. Do you think I can really wear something like that?”

He was unconcerned. “You’ll make it work. You’ll change clothes or something. But I’m telling you, if you want to get a guy to do something that might be difficult, then the best way is to distract him so that he can’t devote his full brainpower to the consequences.”

“You don’t have a lot of faith in your own gender.”

“Hey, I’m telling you the truth. I’ve been distracted by sexy dresses a lot.”

I didn’t really know if that was a valid argument, seeing as Adrian was distracted by a lot of things. Fondue. T-shirts. Kittens. “And so, what then? I show some skin, and the world is mine?”

“That’ll help.” Amazingly, I could tell he was dead serious. “And you’ve gotta act confident the whole time, like it’s already a done deal. Then make sure when you’re actually asking for what you want that you tell him you’d be ‘so, so grateful.’ But don’t elaborate. His imagination will do half the work for you. ”

I shook my head, glad we’d almost reached our destination. I didn’t know how much more I could listen to. “This is the most ridiculous advice I’ve ever heard. It’s also kind of sexist too, but I can’t decide who it offends more, men or women.”

“Look, Sage. I don’t know much about chemistry or computer hacking or photosynthery, but this is something I’ve got a lot of experience with.” I think he meant photosynthesis, but I didn’t correct him. “Use my knowledge. Don’t let it go to waste.”

Richelle Mead
“You're not as much of a lost cause as she was. I mean, with her, I had to overcome her deep, epic love with a Russian warlord. You and I just have to overcome hundreds of years' worth of deeply ingrained prejudice and taboo between our two races. Easy.”

Richelle Mead
“I'll just love you whether you want me to or not.”

Richelle Mead
“Because I can't help doing it," he said with a shrug. "And hey, if I keep loving you, maybe you'll eventually crack and love me too. Hell, I'm pretty sure you're already half in love with me."

"I am not! And everything you just said is ridiculous. That's terrible logic."

Adrian returned to his crossword puzzle. "Well, you can think what you want, so long as you remember-no matter how ordinary things seem between us-I'm still here, still in love with you, and care about you more than any other guy, evil or otherwise, ever will."

"I don't think you're evil."

"See? Things are already looking promising.”

Richelle Mead
“Well, you can think what you want, so long as you remember - no matter how ordinary things seem between us - I'm still here, still in love with you, and care about you more than any other guy, evil or otherwise, ever will.”

Richelle Mead
“I don't care if you say we can't be together. I don't care if you think I'm the most evil, unnatural creature walking on earth. You can think whatever you want, go whatever you want. I'm going to just go on loving you, even if it's hopeless.”

“Piece of Heaven?"

"No, that other place I'm going to go to for thinking what I'm thinking.”

Richelle Mead
“I’m not dangerous,” I breathed.

He brought his face toward mine. “You are to me.”

And somehow, against all reason, we were kissing.”

Richelle Mead
“But each time you use spirit, you're more likely to go crazy.”
“Already crazy about you, Sage.”

Richelle Mead
“All the while, my mind reeled with what had happened.
I have a hickey. I let Adrian Ivashkov give me a hickey.

Richelle Mead
“The tension between us kicked up a notch, and I realized that along with our bodies being nearer, so were our lips.”

Richelle Mead
“What am I supposed to do with a wool coat? Especially here in Palm Springs?”

“Sleep with it,” he suggested. “Think of me.”

Richelle Mead
“Adrian Ivashkov wasn’t easy to surprise, but I surprised him then when I brought his mouth toward mine. I kissed him, and for a moment, he was too stunned to respond. That lasted for, oh, about a second. Then the intensity I’d come to know so well in him returned. He pushed me backward, lifting me so that I sat at the table. The tablecloth bunched up, knocking over some of the glasses. I heard what sounded like a china plate crash against the floor.

Whatever logic and reason I normally possessed had melted away. There was nothing but flesh and fire left, and I wasn’t going to lie to myself—at least not tonight.”

Richelle Mead
“Oh... Adrian, I've got one more favor to ask you. A big one."

"Fondue?" he asked hopefully.”

Richelle Mead
Everything about her has to do with me.”

Richelle Mead
“That's the kind of guy you'd follow to hell and back.”

Richelle Mead
“I wanted him. I arched my back, fully aware of how vulnerable that made me and that I was giving him an invitation. He accepted it and laid me back against the table, bringing his body down on top of mine. That crushing kiss of his moved from my mouth to the nape of my neck. He pushed down the edge of my dress and the bra strap underneath, exposing my shoulder and giving his lips more skin to conquer.”

Richelle Mead
“He’d moved toward me again. His hands released mine and moved to my waist, and I noticed I wasn’t the only one breathing heavily. He pulled me to him, bringing our bodies together. The world was all heat and electricity, thick with tension that was only one spark away from exploding around us. I was balancing on another precipice, which wasn’t easy to do in heels. I wrapped my arms around his neck, and this time I was the one who drew him closer.”

Richelle Mead
“I’m not a warrior or a goddess,” I said at last.

Adrian leaned closer. “As far as I’m concerned, you’re both.”

Richelle Mead
“You know," he said, "under normal circumstances, you inviting me to the bedroom would be the highlight of my day."

I crossed my arms and sat on the bed. I did so out of simple fatigue, but a moment later, I was struck by what I was doing. This is where Adrian sleeps. I'm touching the covers he's wrapped in every night. What does he wear? Does he wear anything?

I jumped up.”

Richelle Mead
“Sometimes it's worth lingering on the journey for a while before getting to the destination.”

Richelle Mead
“My nails dug into his back, and he trailed his lips down the edge of my chin, down the center of my neck. He kept going until he reached the bottom of the dress’s V-neck. I let out a small gasp, and he kissed all around the neckline, just enough to tease.”

Richelle Mead
“But when I touch you, your aura … it smolders. The colors deepen, it burns more intensely, the purple increases. Why? Why, Sydney?” He used that hand to pull me closer. “Why do you react that way if I don’t mean anything to you?” There was a desperation in his voice, and it was legitimate.”

Richelle Mead
“I sent a quick text to Adrian: I have a hickey! You can’t ever kiss me again. I honestly hadn’t expected him to be awake this early, so I was surprised to get a response: Okay. I won’t kiss you on your neck again.

So typical of him. No! You can’t ever kiss me ANYWHERE. You said you were going to keep your distance.

I’m trying, he wrote back. But you won’t keep your distance from me.

I didn’t dignify that with a response.”

Richelle Mead
“Adrian shook his head, still smiling. "I've said over and over, I'd do anything for you. I just keep hoping it'll be something like, 'Adrian, let's go hot tubbing' or 'Adrian, take me out for fondue.'"
"Well, sometimes we have to--did you say fondue?" Sometimes it was impossible to follow Adrian's train of thought. "Why in the world would I ever say that?"
He shrugged. "I like fondue.”

Richelle Mead
“In this one terrified moment, my mind couldn’t focus on any of it. “I’ve forgotten everything.”

“No, you haven’t.” His voice in the darkness was calm and reassuring. He smoothed back my hair and pressed one of those half kisses to my forehead. “Just relax and focus."

“His reasonable words centered me and allowed the gears of logic that ran my life to take over again.”

Richelle Mead
“I know I’m not supposed to say this,” he said. “But I think I love you more than ever.”

I took his hand and tried not to think about how happy his words made me.”

Richelle Mead
“It doesn’t matter,” said Adrian, smiling. He rested a hand on my shoulder. “Some things are worth the trouble.”

Richelle Mead
“Adrian tipped my face up toward his and kissed me. Like always, the world around me stopped moving. No, the world became Adrian, only Adrian. Kissing him was as mind-blowing as ever, full of that same passion and need I had never believed I’d feel. But today, there was even more to it. I no longer had any doubt about whether this was wrong or right. It was a culmination of a long journey . . . or maybe the beginning of one.

I wrapped my arms around his neck and pulled him closer. I didn’t care that we were out in public. I didn’t care that he was Moroi. All that mattered was that he was Adrian, my Adrian. My match. My partner in crime, in the long battle I’d just signed on for to right the wrongs in the Alchemist and Moroi worlds. Maybe Marcus was right that I’d also signed myself up for disaster, but I didn’t care. In that moment, it seemed that as long as Adrian and I were together, there was no challenge too great for us.

I don’t know how long we stood there kissing. Like I said, the world around me was gone. Time had stopped. I was awash in the feel of Adrian’s body against mine, in his scent, and in the taste of his lips. That was all that mattered right now.”

Richelle Mead
“I love you, and beneath all that logic, calculation, and superstition, I know you love me too.”

Richelle Mead
“His eyes were on his heart, completely caught up in his work. 'Just something kicking around in my head. Reminds me of you. Fiery and sweet, all at the same time. A flame in the dark, lighting my way.' His voice... his words... I recognized one of his spirit-driven moments. It should've unnerved me, but there was something sensual about the way he spoke, something that made my breath catch. A flame in the dark.

Richelle Mead
“Whatever happened to the dragon?"

I mustered my primmest tone. "He has a name, you know."

Adrian pulled back and gave me a curious look. "I didn't know, actually. What'd you decide on?"

"Hopper." When Adrian laughed, I added, "Best rabbit ever. He'd be proud to know his name is being passed on."
"Yes, I'm sure he would. Did you name the Mustang too?"
"I think you mean the Ivashkinator."

He stared at me in wonder. "I told you I loved you, right?
"Yes," I assured him. "Many times.”

Richelle Mead
“Do you know what I see in you now? The usual aura. A steady golden yellow, healthy and strong, with spikes of purple here and there. But when I do this. . . .”

He rested a hand on my hip, and my whole body tensed up. That hand moved around my hip, slipping under my shirt to rest on the small of my back. My skin burned where he touched me, and the places that were untouched longed for that heat.

“See?” he said. He was in the throes of spirit now, though with me at the same time. “Well, I guess you can’t. But when I touch you, your aura . . . it smolders. The colors deepen, it burns more intensely, the purple increases. Why? Why, Sydney?” He used that hand on me to pull me closer. “Why do you react that way if I don’t mean anything to you?” There was a desperation in his voice, and it was legitimate.”

Richelle Mead
“Can you come over to Amberwood? I need you to help me break curfew and escape my dorm.”
There were a few moments of silence. “Sage, I’ve been waiting two months to hear you say those words. You want me to bring a ladder?”

02/21/2013 page 1
0.0% "OMFG I'M FINALLY READING THIS! YESSSS!

Okay. Okay. Deep breaths, Arooj. Deep. Breaths. Whew. Oh, and I'm sorry to all of the books I borrowed from the library - you all forgive me for ignoring you, right? I mean, it's Adrian. You guys understand. XD" 2 comments
02/21/2013 page 23
5.0% "IT'S ADRIAN! GAH! I'm grinning so widely right now that I look like an idiot, and my brother is asking what the hell is wrong with me. Heehee."
02/21/2013 page 29
6.0% ""I'll just love you whether you want me to or not." *faints*"
02/21/2013 page 41
9.0% "This Ian bloke is annoying. Doesn't he see the "Reserved for Adrian" sign on Sydney? Well, he's about to see it soon."
02/21/2013 page 79
18.0% "As much as I hate to tear myself away from this book, I must turn in for the night. Sleep is calling out to me. I'll see you in my dreams, Adrian."
02/23/2013 page 202
50.0% "Oh my gosh, I love Sydney. She actually read a book about how to deal with "bad boys". Lol!" 1 comment
11/30/2013 marked as: currently-reading
11/30/2013 page 1
0.0% "Re-reading not because I need a refresher before I get to "The Fiery Heart", but because I want to revisit some of those awesome Sydrian scenes XD,"
12/03/2013 marked as: read
show 3 hidden updates…

Hira Isn't Feb 2013 so far away???

◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj It's too far away! But I'm surprised by the date. I thought it would come out in June or something. Whatever, I'm not complaining though!

Hira Hehe same. How about the ending huh? I haven't felt so many different emotions at the same time in, like, AGES. God I would've loved to like smack Sydney around at that point but even though it kills me to say, she did have her reason...

◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj I KNOW RIGHT?! I actually love Sydney now. And even though she's smart, god, when it comes to things like romance or feelings, she knows nothing. Even a blind person could tell Adrian had feelings for her. But, unfortunately, she's stuck in a position where she can't do what she wants...GAH!

OMFG THE ENDING. (view spoiler)

Hira I know, I know! You weren't the only one screaming! I swear, Adrian gave so many hints during the book that EVERYONE knew except for her. Could she actually be that dense? One big hint was Jill. I squealed every time she opened her mouth because in a way, what she said was what Adrian was thinking. Sigh...Jill finally grew on me. And yes I Loved that certain scene too ;p

◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj Yeah, the whole Jill thing was a TOTAL tip off. I'm shocked Sydney couldn't figure it out! Even I like Jill now. Before I didn't really care about who she ended up with, but now, her and Eddie need to get together soon! I felt so bad for him.

Hira I also felt bad for him. Eddie is one of my FAVE characters. At first I was like, what's-with-this-Angelina-chick but now I'm like hmmm they're kinda good together. Also, it's a good chance for Jill to get jealous. That'll be fun haha. The more the merrier. What'd you think of Brendan/Braydon/Ben...whatever his name was.

message 8: by ◕ ◡ ◕ Arooj (last edited Jun 24, 2012 02:05PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj I didn't like Angeline at all at first (view spoiler), but I liked her later on. I'm all for Jill and Eddie though. Jill is starting to get jealous, which is a great sign!

Brody Brady Brayden was so BORING. All he did was talk about history or science or something else smart. He doesn't even know how to compliment a girl! Ugh.

Reading Rhino Press Ahhh! Hayden, Brady, Aiden, I hated that little prick!! I absolutely LOVED how everything ended up with him and Sydney, I was laughing the entire time!

◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj LOL their "dates" were so awkward. They were more like study sessions.

Reading Rhino Press SPOILER ALERT: Totally, ugh, Hayden. And was anyone else disappointed that Rose didn't make an appearance? :(

◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj So disappointed. I was hoping that she would make a surprise appearance, but she already did that in Bloodlines though. I hope she comes back soon!

Reading Rhino Press Do you know what I hope? That the whole Lia publishing Jill's face for the whole Moroi world to see will force the new gang to go back to Court so we can see the old gang again lol. I want Rose and Lissa and Christian and Dimitri back lol, we can add all the new ones too, it'll be a huge party at Court! :)

◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj YES! They should totally go back! I'm not used to this human world of VA and wish they were back at the school or something. Oh man, I miss Lissa and Christian SO much. Plus, they'll have to go back for Sonya's wedding, right?

Reading Rhino Press Totally! And I know I'm supposed to get used to Sydney (and this books has made me like her a lot more) but I miss Rose!! Wa.

◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj Yeah, I want Rose back as well. But Richelle Mead is writing a short story with Dimitri and Rose in an anthology called Foretold, so we'll see her again!

Reading Rhino Press Wow, I had no idea, that book looks awesome! Laini Taylor, Richelle, Meg Cabot, it looks awesome! Thanks for the heads up. :)

◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj No problem! Oh, and will you be doing a video review of The Golden Lily?

Reading Rhino Press I guess I'll have too, I just have so much to say about it haha! I think it'll be more of a discussion video rather than a review because let's face it, at think point, I really don't find myself in any position to review Richelle's writing haha, it'll be a fun discussion vid!

message 20: by ◕ ◡ ◕ Arooj (last edited Jun 24, 2012 10:13PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj Ooooh a discussion video sounds fun! Can't wait to see it! =D