Andy's Reviews > The Post-American World

The Post-American World by Fareed Zakaria

Oct 16, 2008

Recommended to Andy by: Fred Wilson
Recommended for: Everyone

EVERY AMERICAN SHOULD READ THIS BOOK.

Really, everyone, period, should read this book, but most especially, all fearful, reactionary, protectionist sorts that America is rich with today.

The world is changing -- that's a simple fact. Globalization is inevitable, and as Thomas Friedman reminds us, the world is flat.

America isn't necessarily "in decline" -- it's more a matter of "the rise of the rest." America, and Americans, need to recognize this, and learn to play nicely with rest of the globe if we're going to remain in any sort of enviable position. But the best lesson I took from this book is the fact that this sort of evolution is ENTIRELY POSSIBLE, and not just a pipe dream. America has strengths, we need to continue to use them, and not resort to protectionist fantasies of economies gone by.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Post-American World.

message 1: by Adrian (new)

Adrian Ratnapala Hi Andrew,

I'm not an American, but I one of the reast. I read Zakarais long article called the rise of the rest. I was duly impressed, he is right, the rest is rising and America should profit from it.

But I get the feeling that this phenomenon is still far away. I think America is still the top dog by far and that won't change soon unless it loses confidence in itself.

That is, America's own talk of decline has a (small) chance of becoming a self fulfilling prophecy.