Trish's Reviews > Hell on Wheels

Jun 23, 2012

bookshelves: contemporary-romance, romantic-suspense-military, series
Read in July, 2012

ARC copy provided by Net Galley

Hell On Wheels is the debut novel from Julie Ann Walker and a promising start to a series that I will most defintely read. There were a few kinks to the writing style for me and I wasn't sure how the story would pan out. At the half-way point, the author seemed to find her groove and the story's pace picked up and flowed from that point on. I am now hooked on her 'family' of motorcycle- riding-rough-boys, the Black Knights.

I must admit it was hard to fall for Walker's Alpha hero at the beginning. Nate comes across as cold and indifferent to Ali and I didn't get the warm fuzzies. But he has his reasons for his aloofness and all is explained. Nate Weller is one of those quiet Alpha heroes that is hiding a lot of pain and soon I found myself crying at what he had to endure. If you have one of those tender hearts (like me), you may need a box of tissues for when Nate recalls the horrific torture and death of his best friend. It is a brutal and somewhat hard-to-read scene, so be prepared.

At the beginning of Hell On Wheels, Ali Morgan has just received word that her brother, Grigg, is dead. Distraught with a flood of emotions, Ali reaches out to Nate in her grief and shares an erotic moment on the beach with the bad boy who she has had feelings for since she first met him.

Now someone is following Ali. And she suspects that Nate is hiding something big regarding her brother's death. After a masked man attempts to rob her, she drives to Chicago for answers that only Nate can provide and finds herself neck-deep in trouble.

What follows is a story involving a corrupt Senator trying to cover his slimy tracks and a combustible chemistry between Nate and Ali that will not be denied.

There is also a secondary story between Becca 'Rebel' Reichert and 'Boss' Frank Knight that will be continued in book two of Walker's Black Knight Series--In Rides Trouble.

World building and character development may hinder the reader's enjoyment at the beginning, but overall I think that Walker has developed a strong back story and three-dimensional characters with quirky flaws. I can't wait to see where she'll take me next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hell on Wheels.

message 1: by ツ Renée (new) - added it

ツ Renée I'm glad you liked it. I am a very flexible reader. The only two things that will turn me off of a read is an unlikeable heroine or hero, and a bad ending, so thank you for the review. I'm looking forward to this one next month.