Ingo's Reviews > One by One

One by One by Ruth Ware

8842081

bookshelves: preordered

While the concept is that of other books, a single place and a group of people with a few kills picked of one-by-one, like the most famous books by authors like Agatha Christie, it is well executed.

A gripping thriller, for me, may the reason is that have not read this kind of story where people get picked by a killer one by one for quite some time.

The main theme is based on a UK IT Startup, contemplating a buy-out (sell-out), Spotify was interested but at that point they declined. This was a book for me, with current technology up-to-date and adding to the story, also no mistakes, no exaggerated hacking. The author knows what she is doing. Also, while I do not really like genre "psychological thriller" and hated Gone Girl, and the overly hyped Gone-Girl-like books, and quickly DNFed them after a few mistakes, I liked this book (and I am not sure, if this even qualifies to be put in this genre!).

Very little romance, sex only mentioned. A hint of gay near the end.
The skiing scenes (as a wheelchair-bound person I cannot ski) where gripping and seemed very real to me.
Short chapters with alternating POV between two people (Erin and Liz, both female), some readers do not like this kind of writing, so beware, but I liked it.

Highly recommended page-turner, maybe for some 5stars is a bit much, but I stand by it. Standalone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One by One.

September 12, 2020 – Shelved