Bargain Sleuth Book Reviews's Reviews > Everything Beautiful in Its Time: Seasons of Love and Loss

Everything Beautiful in Its Time by Jenna Bush Hager

bookshelves: biography, presidents

For this and other book reviews, visit www.bargain-sleuth.com

Jenna Bush Hager, daughter and granddaughter of presidents, is host of NBC’s Today Show’s fourth hour. She’s married with three kids, and in the span of about 18 months, lost her three remaining grandparents. Everything Beautiful in Its Time: Seasons of Love and Loss is her story of those grandparents, and how their lives and lessons help navigate her own today.

A few weeks ago I reviewed Sisters First: Stories From Our Wild and Wonderful Life written by Jenna Bush Hager and her fraternal twin sister, Barbara Pierce Bush. I’m completely non-partisan when it comes to my book reading. Just because Bush Hager comes from a political family doesn’t mean she doesn’t haven’t anything important to say.

There were a couple of stories in that stood out to me. “I have bigger fears now. One is that people will judge me either positively or negatively because of my family. I worry that people who take issue with my father’s policies will believe he and I agree on everything politically or that I have to answer for his decisions. I worry, too, that people who love the Bush family will be extra nice to me or provide me with opportunities only because of my bloodline.” You tell ’em, Jenna! You are your own person, not your father’s, not your grandfather’s, not anyone’s but your own. She then goes on to tell of a discussion with her NBC colleague Maria Shriver, who is an Emmy-award winning journalist for 40 years, is often reduced to simply being called a “Kennedy”. Apparently presidential families can’t carve their own path to some.

Everything Beautiful in Its Time: Seasons of Love and Loss is a love letter to her grandparents, two of whom the public knows well, and two we don’t. Each of them had strong personalities imprinted on their children and grandchildren. The bulk of the book is spent reliving memories of her grandparents, George H.W. Bush and Barbara Bush, but also her maternal grandmother and namesake, Jenna Welch. Welch spent the past decade fighting dementia, so those stories are extra-poignant.

I thought some stories from Sisters First might be repeated in this book, but that’s not the case. There are many more memories of her family’s time together in Maine and Texas and at the White House, as well as a look at Jenna’s life now. It’s clear that the Bush family is a close one, and letting us peak inside the life of presidential families is appreciated.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everything Beautiful in Its Time.

September 11, 2020 – Shelved