Laura's Reviews > Every Day

Every Day by David Levithan

bookshelves: favorites

Why do I remember a time spent driving around all day with wind and music in my hair as if it was yesterday, but can’t recall one detail about my high school graduation? Some days stick. Others fade away. A life mystery...I hope forever remains a mystery.

One day at a time. Live every day to the fullest. Be in the moment. Day to day. Today is a new day. See you tomorrow…..Are just a few of the common expressions that Mr. Levithan blows up and almost redefines in the pages of Every Day. A book that forced me to reflect and take stock of my days in a whole new light.

“A” wakes up every day in a different body and life. Moving from girl to boy, family to family, town to town, day to day. Always moving on after one day. It is the only life he has known. New parents, rooms, physical appearance, and surroundings every day. Good days and bad days. Painful days and happy days. Each day passes with new experiences for “A”, but never adding up to a past or history to hold on to and see grow over time. Can you imagine saying goodbyes every day? To survive, A swears to never get attached or involved in the individual lives he inhabits for the day. Until he meets Rhiannon. A girl that changes A’s day to day life and perhaps much more.

An instant spark, chemistry, and “enormity” between two souls is so rare in life, so when it does happen—good gods—hold on tight! A is Justin, Rhiannon’s boyfriend for the day, when he meets and falls for Rhiannon’s energy, spirit, and beauty. They click. The universe seems to say be happy today together.

”The moment you fall in love feels like it has centuries behind it, generations—all of them rearranging themselves so that this precise, remarkable intersection could happen. In your heart, in your bones, no matter how silly you know it is, you feel that everything has been leading to this, all the secret arrows were pointing here, the universe and time itself crafted this long ago, and you are just now realizing it, you are just now arriving at the place you were always meant to be.”

For the first time, in a long time, A needs more than just one day. He longs for more with Rhiannon. Is it possible to fall in love with someone that has no idea who he/she will be from one day to the next? How can love last under such conditions? How does love last from day to day? Very bittersweet and inspiring thoughts and emotions ran through me with A’s struggle for love. A journey that will impact each reader and heart differently. We all see, feel, and experience the world through different eyes and hearts. So I wonder what you will see in these pages.

One of my favorite parts of this book was A’s spirit. With care, integrity, and a sense of responsibility, A sets out each day to survive and move through the time without interfering, disrupting or connecting with the people and places around him. Do you realize how many people really do live like that in life? Not connecting with anyone or anything. Breaks and terrifies my heart. The fact I fell in love with A without an actual physical appearance or place to focus or hang on to is jaw-droppingly brilliant! Levithan infused A’s life with a spirit and love that jumped right into my own heart and blood. A contagious energy filled with inspiration and push to look for the good in life each and every day. :)

Now please prepare for fan-girl gushing in 3, 2, 1…. I am a Levithan girl. The man makes me happy! The love for words and language appears in every page and description which seems to fit perfectly in my reading heart. He is my number one word man! Oh, the words! The dictionary is never far when reading a Levithan story. :D But it’s more than just his word choice. A feeling lives in his words. A wish-you-well-in-the-world type feeling. The way he looks at the world and portrays it on the page pumps and inspires new life and energy in my heart. Spending time in a David Levithan world is magic. I feel better after visiting. Listen to the way he describes playground swings—“I head to the swings and hang in the air for awhile.” Or the approaching fall time—“Color is right around the corner.” Or pain as “being left in a room after the door has been slammed shut”. Those lines seem so simple, but heart-achingly beautiful to me. Pure reading magic! *sigh*

Oops! I swooned on and on there for a bit. Hehe….Back on track now. :D

Every Day is a book to savor and experience. Each voice, character, and day continues to hit me over and over the more I think about the words and story. A book filled with the power of love, loss, friendship, family, communication, and the bonds that tie us all together. We all have full days and “blank days”, but I do hope you take time to enjoy this world.

Highly recommended. This story will be one of those days and memories that stick with you. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Every Day.

June 23, 2012 – Shelved
September 1, 2012 – Started Reading
September 1, 2012 –
page 71
22.05% "“Why can’t I take the music of the moment and see how long it can last?” \n Levithan! I love this man."
September 4, 2012 – Finished Reading
September 5, 2012 – Shelved as: favorites

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)

message 1: by Bethany (new) - added it

Bethany This sounds so different and good. I can't wait to see what you think.

Laura I just saw this. Sorry, Bethany. I swear I get like every other comment. I LOVED this one. Levithan makes me very happy! :)

message 3: by Joy (new)

Joy Great review Laura

message 4: by Baba (new)

Baba  Wonderful review, Laura! Loved your fangirl moment. :)

message 5: by Ilhem (new) - added it

Ilhem It's always enjoyable to read how a book made you happy.:)

message 6: by Laura (last edited Sep 06, 2012 01:03PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura Thanks, Ladies! It was a beautiful book!
*waves* at Joy and Ilhem! :)

Hi Baba—I can go off like that sometimes. Hehe…I try not to, but hell sometimes fan-girling is just called for. :) I try so hard not to go all fan girl with Voinov. Hehe…I'm a mature adult I will not jump and down like a 12 year old girl every time he has a story out. Haha…*ahum* yeah right! :D

@Sam--YES, read it so I can gossip with ya! ASAP! ;)

Laura Ugh…My apologies. When I typo..haha…it is always a biggie. *face palm*
So sorry for the misspelling. (view spoiler) All fixed now. :)

message 8: by Jasprit (new) - added it

Jasprit This is such a beautiful review Laura, I really need to start a Levithan book soon! This one sounds fantastic! :)

Wendy Darling Love this review, Laura. :)

Laura Hi Jasprit! Thanks. I'm going to shout at you here for a bit--hehe--YES! GET ON IT, LADY! ;) Levithan has a beautiful way with words. Read it so we can gossip! :D

*waves* Hi Wendy! Thank you. :) Happy weekend!

message 11: by Cara (new) - added it

Cara This review was all things Brillant! I can't believe this is the first time I'm hearing about this book *shakes head* This is going on my to-read shelf right now:)

Laura Thanks, Cara! Can’t wait to gossip with you about this one! Levithan! Have you read anything by the man yet? He…oh hell, don’t even get me swooning again. Haha…I can go on and on. Levithan holds a key to my reading heart. :) Have fun!

message 13: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari I am reading this now and so far it is really great!
I always get to read the best books thanks to you! :D

Laura Ari wrote: "I am reading this now and so far it is really great!
I always get to read the best books thanks to you! :D"

Yay! Hi Ari! Thanks & right back at ya! :) Can’t wait for updates and gossip! Please keep me posted! Well….I’ll be stalking anyway! ;) Have fun!

message 15: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari I love it! i haven't been able to stop reading - not even to post updates, this is how much i adore this book. Review will come, i have plenty of notes, but i'm on holidays so it will take a while ;))

Laura Holiday! Have fun, Ari! :) I’m jealous! Hope your days are filled with friends, family, and lots of reading! Gossip soon then! SO happy you are loving it. Levithan makes me very happy. Have you read anything by him before?

message 17: by J (new)

J Oh my-----you have such a craft for beautifully and poetically stating your thoughts!!! I love your review------one of my favorite ones. I want to read this book NOW!!!! How long has it been out?

J

Laura J wrote: "Oh my-----you have such a craft for beautifully and poetically stating your thoughts!!! I love your review------one of my favorite ones. I want to read this book NOW!!!! How long has it been out..."

Hi J! :) Thank you. *blushes* Levithan brings out my swoon words. :D He really is a wonder with words. It came out the last week in August, so not long at all. Please keep me posted if you pick it up. :)

message 19: by ♥Rachel♥ (new)

♥Rachel♥ You really do have a way with words Laura! Beautiful review. (view spoiler)

Laura ♥Rachel♥ wrote: "You really do have a way with words Laura! Beautiful review. [spoilers removed]"

Aw quit it! Thank you though. Compliments always make me want to hide under a rock. Haha… :) You know I can’t tell you THAT! But…(view spoiler)

message 21: by ♥Rachel♥ (new)

♥Rachel♥ It's the truth, Laura! No shame in taking a compliment. :)

Buggy Beautiful review Laura I've got to read this! Thanks for the discovery

Laura Hi Buggy! Thanks. :) Levithan is pure reading love. Happy reading! I’ll be on the lookout (aka stalking) for updates. ;)

Buggy I ordered it last night Laura, thanks I never would have found this book without your review

Claire Pullan After reading so many negative reviews that I so strongly disagreed with it was absolute heaven to come across yours.
I got this book for Christmas last year and am usually hesitant to read anything I haven't chosen. But I found it to be unique. I hadn't read anything at all similar.
I recommended it to my friend and she and her sister both loved it too!
I love this book.

Laura Hi Claire! :) Same here! I fell in LOVE with the story, words, and world. So happy you loved it too! And to pass it along to 2 people that fell in love with it too makes the reading experience so special. This might be a love it or hate it book. Definitely a unique book—one of my favorites! Levithan always makes me happy though. I already want to re-read! haha...Happy reading!

message 27: by Hershey (new) - added it

Hershey Awesome review!

Laura Hi Hershey! :) Thanks. I LOVED this one! Levithan actually has a new book coming out this month. I'm counting the days! Have a good weekend!

message 29: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat I love your review so much. Sweet anticipation!

Laura Loederkoningin wrote: "I love your review so much. Sweet anticipation!"

Hi Loederkoningin! Thanks. Looking forward to living it all over again through your updates. I loved this book! :) Enjoy!

Scarlet Great review Laura! This was my first Levithan and I really liked it. The narration was so thoughtful and meditative, quite unlike the usual YA. Wasn't the ending very abrupt though?

message 32: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat You bet I will! Thanks.^^

Laura @Loederkoningin--Can’t wait! :) btw...Don’t look at the spoiler below. Haha…It’s not all that spoilery, but it’s still ending talk. Look away! :D

Hi Scarlet! Abrupt meaning came up fast or not enough info at the end? A lot of readers wanted more at the end. But for me, it felt right. (view spoiler) *sigh* Levithan is one of my favorite YA voices. He has a new one coming out at the end of August. Happy dancing already. :)

Scarlet I mean abrupt in the sense that the book ended just when A learned something so crucial. We'll never know what he did with that knowledge. But yes, that uncertainty does add a lovely touch of foreboding to the end. This was one of my favorite YA books this year! I'm really looking forward to reading more of Levithan :)