L.R. Braden's Reviews > Trapped

Trapped by Kevin Hearne

liked it

I was a bit disappointed in this installment of the Iron Druid series. The writing was good, and the humor was there, but this book lacked a cohesive plot. I feel like it existed solely to tie the previous book and the next book together.

As per usual, Atticus is being targeted by every conceivable type of supernatural being, from vampires and Greek gods, to his own deities. Unfortunately, these battles take the form of a series of loosely strung together action sequences that reach no resolution. There was no satisfying ending. In fact, I spent most of the book confused what the main plotline even was.

The one event that runs through much of the story is that Granuaile needs to be bound to the earth as a full druid, but that feels like more of a sub-plot to me than the focus of an entire novel. Especially since large chunks are glossed over. The binding is mostly notable for the fact that it keeps getting interrupted.

There were several sections of dense info dumps decorated as lectures or third party story-telling that failed to hold my attention. I didn't see much character growth, though the interactions between Atticus and Oberon remain endearing. Granuaile is without a doubt one kick-ass woman, but she's also a bit flat.

All in all, not a stellar story, but a good enough read that I intend to continue. Hopefully the next book will have a little more meat.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Trapped.

September 11, 2020 – Started Reading