Andrea's Reviews > Gone Girl

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Jun 23, 2012

bookshelves: ebook, read-in-2012, favorites

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gone Girl.

Quotes Andrea Liked

Gillian Flynn
“There’s something disturbing about recalling a warm memory and feeling utterly cold.”

Gillian Flynn
“I feel myself trying to be charming, and then I realize I’m obviously trying to be charming, and then I try to be even more charming to make up for the fake charm, and then I’ve basically turned into Liza Minnelli: I’m dancing in tights and sequins, begging you to love me. There’s a bowler and jazz hands and lots of teeth.”

Gillian Flynn
“People say children from broken homes have it hard, but the children of charmed marriages have their own particular challenges.”

Gillian Flynn
“Sleep is like a cat: It only comes to you if you ignore it.”

Gillian Flynn
“It is a do-it-yourself era: health care, real estate, police investigation. Go online and f*ing figure it out for yourself because everyone’s overworked and understaffed.”

Gillian Flynn
“It’s a very female thing, isn’t it, to take one boys’ night and snowball it into a marital infidelity that will destroy our marriage?”

Gillian Flynn
“Danish. I’d come to believe there was no food more depressing than Danish, a pastry that seemed stale upon arrival.”

Gillian Flynn
“I remember at one point starting a goofy story about a childhood field trip here, and I saw her eyes go blank, and I got secretly furious, spent ten minutes just winding myself up – because at this point of our marriage, I was so used to being angry with her, it felt almost enjoyable, like gnawing on a cuticle: You know you should stop, that it doesn’t really feel as good as you think, but you can’t quit grinding away.”

Gillian Flynn
“I felt a queasy mixture of relief and horror: when you finally stop an itch and realize it’s because you’ve ripped a hole in your skin.”

Gillian Flynn
“To be kissed on the lips by your husband is the most decadent thing.”

Gillian Flynn
“He did apologize profusely. (Does anyone do anything profusely except apologize? Sweat, I guess.)”

Gillian Flynn
“It’s good.’ She chirps the last bit as if that were all to say about a book: It’s good or it’s bad. I liked it or I didn’t. No discussions of the writing, the themes, the nuances, the structure. Just good or bad. Like a hot dog.”

Gillian Flynn
“Friends see most of each other’s flaws. Spouses see every awful last bit.”