Julie 's Reviews > Second-Chance Cats: True Stories of the Cats We Rescue and the Cats Who Rescue Us

Second-Chance Cats by Callie Smith Grant

bookshelves: 2020, e-book, heartwarming, animals-and-pets, netgalley, non-fiction

Second Chance Cats: True Stories of the Cats we Rescue and the Cats Who Rescue Us by Callie Smith Grant- Editor- is a 2020 Fleming H. Revell publication.

No need to explain why I wanted to read this book. I love cats and am always a sucker for the second chance theme- and happy endings!!

This book is a collection of true stories told in first person, by a variety of contributors, from all walks of life. Each short essay explains how a cat entered their lives, some only briefly, and some for long periods of time, and what impact the cat had on them. Some stories are a little bittersweet, some are inspirational, and some are just sweet stories about a cat that touched the writer in a special way or came to be a permanent part of their family.

As the title suggests, the cats featured in these stories are ones who were rescued, sometimes passing through the person’s life on their way to a longer term residence, and sometimes the writer is able to provide a permanent home for the cat. Yet, very often these cats are the ones doing the rescuing, help to heal and comfort their humans in times of stress, grief or illness- and everyone knows cats are good for our general well being.

I like to tell people that all my cats found me, not the other way around, and that is mostly true.

I have plenty of similar stories, dating back to my childhood, when cats just seemed to find me and stick around. I have tamed feral cats, rescued abandoned kittens, and even shared ownership of a cat with a neighbor once. As an adult, I only owned dogs for a long time before once again adopting a cat. Now, my cats outnumber the dogs- and the stories of how they came to live with us are as special to me as the ones printed in this book. It is for this reason, this book resonated with me, and I found myself nodding and smiling along, knowing how easily felines can worm their way into our hearts and lives.

There is nothing especially fancy about this compilation- the stories are short, told by real people, and are straightforward and simple, but always very heartfelt and sincere.

It goes without saying that cat lovers will not be able to resist these heartwarming stories featuring some very special feline friends.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Second-Chance Cats.

September 10, 2020 – Shelved
October 20, 2020 – Shelved as: animals-and-pets
October 20, 2020 – Shelved as: netgalley
October 20, 2020 – Shelved as: non-fiction
October 20, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)

message 1: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Aww lovely review Julie 🐱

Julie Maureen wrote: "Aww lovely review Julie 🐱"

Thank you very much, Maureen!! 💖🐱

message 3: by Tina (new)

Tina I bet this was very heartwarming! A great review Julie!

Julie Tina wrote: "I bet this was very heartwarming! A great review Julie!"

Thanks so much, Tina!! It was a lovely collection of stories! 💖

message 5: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth The first thing that popped up on my feed was this heart-melting cover, and next thing I know, I encounter one of the most lovely reviews I have ever read, Julie!! I want to hear more of your stories now, too. Beautiful review, Julie!

message 6: by Kimber (new)

Kimber Silver Thank you for sharing your wonderful cat rescue tales with us, Julie! You've started my day with a smile. What a lovely review! :-)

message 7: by Paromjit (new)

Paromjit Lovely review, dear Julie xx

message 8: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn Animals can always sense a truly good person. They can pick up signs of nervousness, fear, anger and danger. You and cats, Julie. They know! ;)

message 9: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Fantastic review, Julie. I love the cover. I am glad that this book made you smile!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader I think I’d enjoy this, too, Julie. We have four rescues filling our home. Lovely review!

Julie Elizabeth wrote: "The first thing that popped up on my feed was this heart-melting cover, and next thing I know, I encounter one of the most lovely reviews I have ever read, Julie!! I want to hear more of your stori..."

Thanks so much, dear Elizabeth!! Maybe I should write a book about my cats someday!! 🐱💖

Julie Kimber wrote: "Thank you for sharing your wonderful cat rescue tales with us, Julie! You've started my day with a smile. What a lovely review! :-)"

Thanks so much, dear Kimber!! 💖

Julie Paromjit wrote: "Lovely review, dear Julie xx"

Thanks so much, Paromjit!! 💖

Julie Carolyn wrote: "Animals can always sense a truly good person. They can pick up signs of nervousness, fear, anger and danger. You and cats, Julie. They know! ;)"

Thanks so much, dear Carolyn!! I agree- animals sense a relaxed, friendly and receptive animal lover. I think my cats just sensed that I was a sucker- and they sensed right. LOL! 🐱💖🐱

Julie Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader wrote: "I think I’d enjoy this, too, Julie. We have four rescues filling our home. Lovely review!"

Thank you so much, Jennifer!! Rescues are the best!! 🐱💖

message 16: by Jen (new)

Jen A purring review, Julie!

Julie Jen wrote: "A purring review, Julie!"

Many thanks, dear Jen!! 🐱💖

message 18: by Richard (new)

Richard Nice review Julie ........ a warm and friendly book it seems :)

Julie Richard wrote: "Nice review Julie ........ a warm and friendly book it seems :)"

Thanks so much, Richard!! 🐱

message 20: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Nice review, Julie! This sounds like a must read for a "perfectly sane cat lady" like me.

Julie Melissa wrote: "Nice review, Julie! This sounds like a must read for a "perfectly sane cat lady" like me."

Thank so much, dear Melissa! 🐱🐱💖

message 22: by JanB (new)

JanB I’m a softie when it comes to animal stories. This sounds heartwarming and special. Excellent review Julie!

Julie JanB wrote: "I’m a softie when it comes to animal stories. This sounds heartwarming and special. Excellent review Julie!"

Thank you so much, dear Jan!! Me too- I love stories that feature pets and animals! 🐱 💖

message 24: by Melissa (new)

Melissa ~ Bantering Books I love your review, Julie! I'm a cat lover, too, and this is the first time in my life I am not sharing my home with at least two kitties. My sons are severely allergic to cats, and last year we had to rehome our three kitties because neither one could breathe. (My youngest even has asthma that is caused by his allergy to cats.) Luckily, one of my very best friends took all three, so we still get to see them whenever we want. But it was heartbreaking to have to give them up.

Julie Melissa wrote: "I love your review, Julie! I'm a cat lover, too, and this is the first time in my life I am not sharing my home with at least two kitties. My sons are severely allergic to cats, and last year we ha..."

Thanks so much, dear Melissa!! I'm sorry you had to re-home your kitties! This book has a case or two similar to yours. Your kitties got a wonderful new home and are able touch more lives now. 🐱💖