Ricky's Reviews > The Cabinet of Curiosities

The Cabinet of Curiosities by Douglas Preston

Preston and Child took five years after Reliquary to present us with a continuation of the Pendergast series. I didn't read this until very recently, but had I been old enough for Preston and Child in the late 90s-early 2000s, I would have probably considered this one worth the wait.

I enjoyed the previous pair of books in the series, Relic and the aforementioned Reliquary, but I considered this one a step above the previous two because this one was just more my thing. I am a little leery of monster-movie stuff, but creepy steampunk-influenced stuff appeals to me more. This book had more steampunk-type material, with its story of the mystery surrounding a strange curio shop in NYC from the 19th century. Of course, it's all set in the present day, but the mystery dates back more than 100 years. It's the ultimate cold case.

Well, not quite ultimate. Preston and Child, like so many authors in this genre, have ended up outdoing themselves with each successive novel in the Pendergast series (and, later, Gideon Crew and Preston's Wyman Ford solo series.) For this reason, I give TCoC only four stars, because while I would have probably given it five upon first reading it, I have found many of the sequels even more enjoyable in comparison. All the same, it's a very good book. Just beware - it is very dark and creepy. Reader discretion is advised.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cabinet of Curiosities.