Adam Graham's Reviews > Green Lantern: Kyle Rayner Vol. 1

Green Lantern by Ron Marz

Kyle Rayner's 1990s run as Green Lantern begins here...eventually, but first, we get the three-issue story of Hal Jordan's fall from grace in the wake of Coast City's fall. It's weird to have a book centered on a specific hero and that hero not to show up until the third issue in, but I give it a pass because Jordan's fall is important in setting up Kyle's run plus the story is tragic, but also well-written.

As for Kyle Rayner's early run, it's a mixed bag. As a result of Hal did, things are different, the corps is no more and he's feeling his way in the dark. In a way, the early issues of the book give off a youthful sort of Spider-man feel to them. However, the book takes an infamous dark turn with the original "woman in the refrigerator" story. Whatever, you think about "the woman in the refrigerator" critique of comics in general, in its original context, it comes the heck out of nowhere in what had been a fairly light series. It's an embarrassing bit of 1990s excess.

The storyline is decent, though very episodic, with the big focus being that Kyle's a bit out of his depth even though deep down, he does have what it takes to be a Green Lantern. He starts on Earth and then is taken into space because of the Zero Hour event, and then makes he way home through space and arrives home in time to get a crossover with the New Titans book.

Character work is probably the big highlight. The book does do a good job establishing Kyle and he's also portrayed as a very creative user of the ring.

Overall, even though the book had some missteps, I find myself interested in Kyle and curious at what happens next. So I'd call the book a win. It's about 3.5 star book, which is a decent beginning.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Green Lantern.

September 10, 2020 – Started Reading