Debbie Young's Reviews > Can't Live Without

Can't Live Without by Joanne Phillips

I don't usually read books in this genre but was intrigued by the opening situation and gripped by the first few pages - a woman who loses everything in a house fire. When tidying up my eternally untidy house, I've been guilty of occasionally fantasising about this happening to me, as a quick and easy way of decluttering. But no more!

I immediately cared about what became of the heroine and her family and tore through the book as fast as I could. Well written, humorous, unexpectedly lyrical about Milton Keynes (so novelty value there!), with a few unexpected twists and surprises, it was an enjoyable light read that I'd recommend. A great book to download/pack for the holidays (but make sure you've got your insurance contents fixed up before you go to avoid anxious moments on the beach!)

There were a couple of minor niggles or distractions - e.g. the daughter's name, Lipsy. Where does that come from? I was half expecting an explanation of it to be a crucial turning point in the plot, but that never happened. But maybe that's just me - I've always avoiding reading books where all the characters have silly names, but that's probably my loss!

Also I couldn't quite believe that the heroine and her ideal man hadn't snapped each other up years before, as they'd known each other so long. But then life is strange, and I don't think it's necessarily unrealistic. Just think of "When Harry Met Sally" - one of my all-time favourite films. (Yes, I know that's not real life, but you know what I mean!) Again, blame me, not the author for that niggle!

Looking forward to her next book - and hoping she writes one soon!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Can't Live Without.

June 23, 2012 – Started Reading