Christina's Reviews > Act of Revenge: A Medical Thriller

Act of Revenge by John      Bishop

This is a refreshing medical thriller with an extremely likable protagonist, Dr. Jim Bob Brady. I was on Doc Brady's side instantly - he is funny, warm, and the sort of person you'd like to have take care of you AND solve your mysteries. His wife is also great. This is kind of a "cozy medical thriller" if such a thing exists? And I mean that as a compliment. The book never gives up its warm and friendly tone but also takes a nice tough approach to a lot of interesting medical issues. It's not a Michael Crichton/Robin Cook terrifying medical pandemic type thriller but a thriller that is more about the characters, which I really liked. I also love the idea of a doctor who is also a detective, because don't most doctors have problem-solving, detective-like tendencies?

A very fun and appealing window into the life of a good doctor (the author is an orthopedic surgeon, and I would like to think he is a lot like Jim Bob) who cares. It should also be noted that this book takes place in the 1990s during the height of some of the silicone breast implant discoveries, which I found to be an especially interesting subject. I learned a lot of stuff about breast implants - most of it scary - all of it interesting!

While this was a little cozier than my usual psycho killer, mass pandemic reads, I think my cold, cold, heart benefited from it. I am impressed with the writing skills and plot structuring of this book and love the main character. If you are interested in plastic surgery in the 90s (and today), doctors who solve crimes, and a set of fun and interesting characters, this book is for you.

Thanks to NetGalley, John Bishop and Mantid Press for this fun and interesting palate cleansing and warm book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Act of Revenge.

Started Reading
September 8, 2020 – Shelved
September 8, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael David So happy to hear that something satisfied your cold, cold heart! 🤣 Fantastic review, as always! I’ll have to look into this series!

message 2: by Pat (new)

Pat Great thoughtful review Christina 😊

message 3: by Jayme (new)

Jayme Great review-glad you enjoyed!

Christina It’s hard, Michael - usually a stone-cold psychopath steals my heart better but I could not resist Doctor Jim Bob! 🙃