Sophie's Reviews > Bittersweet

Bittersweet by Sarah Ockler

Jun 22, 2012

bookshelves: charmingly-traditional, contemporary-ya, so-fluffy-im-gonna-die, cover-love

This review also appears on The Dreaming Reader.

One thing is for sure: Bittersweet is definitely better than Twenty Boy Summer. That book was just...blech.

So, I really like this cover. I think it's very fitting, and it gives off that quaint wintry feel that I got from the entire setting of Watonka (is that a real place? The name is so...whimsical. I like.). I really liked Ockler's writing in this novel, and I remember it was pretty good in That Other Book, too. This is how Hudson describes the place in the end:
All the little quirks that make even the most barren, frigid places beautiful, that make a tiny gray dot on the map the one place you'll always call home, no matter where your glamorous, boring, adventurous, average, ridiculous, impossible, epic, romantic, bacon-infused life leads you.

It's not the best quote in there, but it was one that struck a chord with me. As someone who yearns to leave my dumpy little town for the big city, this book was a good reminder that it's the people that make a place special, and to be alone while reaching for your dreams is sometimes worse than having support in your failures. Also, I loved the cupcake descriptions. If I weren't on a diet, I'd go snarf a couple vanilla wafers from my pantry right now. I mean, dark chocolate espresso cupcakes topped with cinnamon café au lait icing, white chocolate chips, and chocolate-covered espresso beans? Come into my mouth, please!

This is a sweet book, packed with delicious desserts and likable people. Bug was the cutest one of them all. I think Bug added a star to this review. He thought maraschino cherries were martian cherries. I wish my sister were that cute.

However, I can't say as much for the main character, Hudson. Strangely enough, I liked what Ockler did with her side characters like Trick, Bug, and even Dani. But it was hard for me to like Hudson. That's not to say that I couldn't understand her conflicts or her sudden alienation of everyone important in her life. She just didn't do things that were very endearing and made it difficult to sympathize; namely, when she kept cutting off Frankie when she was trying to tell her about Will. I thought it was obtuse of her, especially after she'd already learned that Frankie was right the first time. It bothered me that she wouldn't learn. Josh was your average, cute boy who shares music and all that lovey-dovey perfect boy stuff. But he didn't have much of a defining aspect, besides his sister Abby (and who hasn't seen the girlfriend-is-actually-sister thing before?). In fact, I felt that Will had much more charisma and personality than Josh. So I think Ockler should have worked a bit more on her main characters, who pale in comparison to the other less important people.

That said, I enjoyed this book way more than That Other Book, and the characters and plot were way more fun to read about, too. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll go stare at cupcake pictures on Tumblr.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bittersweet.

June 22, 2012 – Started Reading
June 22, 2012 – Shelved
June 22, 2012 –
0.0% "Please let this be better than 20 Boy Summer."
June 23, 2012 –
30.0% "Bug is so cute. The jury's still out on what's-her-name, though."
June 23, 2012 –
40.0% "Is it bad of me to say that Will is preeetty sexy? No wonder he has her all confuzzled. Mmmm."
June 23, 2012 –
55.0% "Laughing so much at the maxi-pad landing strip. Gooey gumballs, do I love Bug."
June 23, 2012 –
70.0% "Not liking Hudson very much right now."
June 23, 2012 – Shelved as: charmingly-traditional