Parker's Reviews > Deception Point

Deception Point by Dan Brown

did not like it
bookshelves: douchereads

My aunt gave this to me to read..I of course hate Dan Brown but I figure it'd be fast and I could thank her for it, mention some interesting tidbits that are no doubt sprinkled throughout the book for idiots, and feel good about family duty. There is not one paragraph that is close to some acceptable literary decency. In 2 pages he found it ok to mention coffee 5 times. No, not fun tidbits about the history of coffee but just as action filler: 'blah blah blah,' he said while he stirred his coffee. Multiply that by 5 (some instance of someone using, gasp, cream, or sugar) and 2 minutes have been sucked from your life. And you will feel it. Unless you're an idiot.

I admit I stopped at page 140. It was a marathon of elementary torture. I started it one night and ended it the same. I didn't read 140 pages because I was thrilled, I read it because it took that long for Dan Brown to get to the premise of the effing book. And that isn't even that interesting. Enjoy, idiots.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deception Point.

Started Reading
January 1, 2007 – Finished Reading
July 25, 2007 – Shelved
July 30, 2007 – Shelved as: douchereads

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)

message 1: by behemothing (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:44AM) (new)

behemothing oh you are a funny lady.

message 2: by Sabiel (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:57AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sabiel I second that =)

message 3: by Eric (new)

Eric This is my favorite book. How could you?

Parker Damn..this means the end of our friendship and I hate you.

message 5: by Eric (new)

Eric Ha ha - DECEPTION!! Gotcha.

message 6: by Eric (new)

Eric I wish goodreads had something worse than one star ratings. Like a green yuck face or something.

Parker 'Lobotomize the piece of my brain that holds the memory of this book' rating.

message 8: by David (new)

David Since when is mentioning coffee five times in two pages proof of literary indecency?

Parker Since either coffee or paper was discovered.

message 10: by David (last edited Aug 27, 2008 12:47PM) (new)

David Your answer is couched in the terms of generalization that you seem to favour. Can you state the year?

BTW I started writing a comedy thriller called Caffeine Man about a man who has a caffeine gland where his adrenal gland ought to be - the result of a medical experiment that went wrong during those paranoid days of the Cold War. He's now a stock market trader who gets a caffeine buzz in the morning from his biological clock - without touching a drop of coffee. But things go awry when he proves so good at his job that he gets sent to other time zones as a roaming troubleshooter...

Then a female journalist discovers evidence of his existence amidst declassified government documents. And then the government realizes that the documents were not supposed to be declassified. So they send out some one to assassinate both of them. (Now the question is shall I make it an albino monk or an Arab? ;-)

message 11: by Parker (last edited Aug 27, 2008 12:55PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Parker Well the earliest example of paper is papyrus dating back to 3500 BC. Coffee quite some time later but in the same upper-east African area. So I guess Dan Brown's style of writing was a failure way before he was born and died near the Cradle of Civilization. Which is also the best ethnic choice for your character.

message 12: by David (new)

David Okay a Libyan (with a scimitar) - everyone hates them anyway so I'm just pandering to existing prejudice, which is a perfect way to make money.

Now if I can just find a way to bring in Polar Bears, cryptographers and renaissance artists...

Jared Evans If this book is for idiots can you suggest one in this genre which is actually good! Late comer to this feed I know but I'd like to get out of the idiot bracket!

message 14: by Stacy (new) - added it

Stacy I would also like suggestions if you don't mind. I just started this book today but...........I would like to get out of the idiot bracket also.

message 15: by Raj (new) - rated it 4 stars

Raj Das If you hate Dan Brown, you should not have read the book at the first place.

mi$$ ҥɪᴆᴆŁеs Are you crazy! This is almost as interesting as the Da Vinci code and Angels and Demons !

Ratski I didn't like the book either. too damn slow. I shouldnt have to sit through 100+ pages of "character development" before I finally read what the point of the book is.

message 18: by Chermax12 (new)

Chermax12 What boring buggers!! Not imagination what so ever!! Dan Brown is a great author and this is a great book... The only idiots are the ones being negative about it!

Neale Henry-rowan Looks like someone likes to think of them self as being more educated on literature than they appear to be. A books only good if its of interest to the person reading it. If you don't like it, it doesn't mean it's a bad book.

message 20: by Paul (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul Bryan So Pretentious.

Wonder Machingura my neighbor Alina recommended Dan Brown to me .I've bought the whole lot because she says he is a great author. now Parker wants to tell me that I'm an idiot? stuff u. the few pages I've read have been interesting.its a good read.

message 22: by Jim (new)

Jim Syler Just because someone does not share your literary sensibilities does not make them an idiot. Brown, for those with not quite so highbrow tastes (okay, a measure of gullibility and ignorance of history is helpful too), tells a gripping story.

Chris Kruger I wonder what you have written, that you come out and slam this author like that, and call everybody who enjoys it an idiot. I would suggest to concentrate on what you like instead of pouring out unfounded hatred when you A didn't finish the book and B not even paid for it. Sounds to me like you're a bitter person. I feel sincerely sorry for you.

message 24: by Eric (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eric Walker Hahahah, it sounds like you have written a few best sellers in your time. Oh, no? Quit your crying.

message 25: by David (new) - added it

David Nield Your review is incomprehensible. You stop at page 140 of a 500 page book and say: "There is not one paragraph that is close to some acceptable literary decency." Prior to this you imply readers of Dan Brown books are idiots. Actually, I think Mr Brown, for whatever his literary merits, has got more people reading books than any other author, with the possible exception of Stephen King. I am reading "Deception Point" at the moment and I am about 2/3rds the way through. It is quite one of the most exciting and gripping thrillers I have ever read, and also very well written, more so, possibly than the Robert Langdon books we know so well and love or hate. I used to think "The DaVinci Code" was his best book but I now reserve judgement until I have finished "Deception Point". I just wish he was a bit more prolific and we did not have to wait so long for his next book and also that he gives us more stand alone thrillers like "Deception Point", rather than repeating the Robert Langdon formula ad infinitum.

message 26: by Sobirming (new)

Sobirming Thank you for the review. I have to read the book for our book club and am really having trouble getting thru it. I knew absolutely nothing about it so I got onto good reads to see the reviews and after seeing all the glowing reviews I thought I must be reading the wrong book. Then I came across your review and realized yes, its the book that sucks.

message 27: by Alp (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alp OP: Good to see you learning how to read and write. It will be harder for you to see through words though. Idiot.

Jeroen van der Meer It's interesting to see reviewer Parker commenting on 'coffee' being mentioned 5 times over 2 pages, while Parker uses 'tidbits' twice in the same paragraph. Quite a literary achievement as well. Kettle... Black...

Category Is: Book Review Realness! Damn,love me some idiot book.

Booky I found myself wondering "where the heck are we going?" throughout this book and not in a good way, this meandering directionless tome was insufferable.

ellymate *laughs*
The only conclusion and advice i could get out of your and everyone's comments here, is that you shouldn't read books you know you don't like and for sure, you shouldn't label others as idiots just because you, were "idiot" enough to knowingly put yourself through torture.

If you do it by mistake and realize you don't like it, is one thing, otherwise you're exactly what you called the people who enjoy his writing style, an idiot.