Jena Henry's Reviews > Blood Alley

Blood Alley by K.D. McNiven

Starting a new series by Author K.D. McNiven!
Brock Scanlin is back!

Good news readers. New Orleans Police Detective Brock Scanlin made a memorable appearance in Bermuda Conspiracy by Author McNiven. Brock caught my imagination as the older cop, somewhat jaded and cynical, trying to hide his heart. He was so popular he is now the lead character in this new series, set in New Orleans. (And he looks great on the cover!)

New Orleans oozes its own secret vibe and Det. Scanlin knows his city all too well. As part of the NOPD, he needs lots of coffee to function, and although he tries to hide it, he needs someone to care about, too. The crime, the murders, the victims- each one has added to the callus on his soul. In Blood Alley, he is confronted by evil so revolting and unfathomable that it almost breaks him.

The crimes and their solutions make for an exciting and “must keep reading” book. Murder, poisoning and a terrible crime are all well presented. I don’t want to reveal any of the specifics- I want you to savor them. Instead, as this is a character-driven book filled with fascinating characters, let’s look at them.

Detective Scanlin is more of an old school cop. Yes, he knows about DNA evidence, but he’s the guy who interviews all the witness and follows up on all the details. He’s brave and caring, but he also has weaknesses and darkness within him. He loves his adult daughter Kari, and her daughter, Nikki. Kari is the kind of daughter who invites him over to family meals, so she can get some “greens” into him. Turns out, she has a big surprise for him.

We meet some of the police force. Det. Brodsky is Brock’s partner- a bit more modern, but just as dedicated as Brock. Special FBI Agent and profiler Alex Foret is another surprise in the book, and a pleasant one for Det. Brodsky. And will we be seeing more of police administrator Wanda ‘Bright Spot’ Garber? Det. Scanlin like his beignets but I suspect he likes Wanda, too.

This crime thriller features exciting police work, excellent characters, and wonderful writing. You will see, hear and feel “The Big Easy.” I highlighted so many descriptions. Here is one, “Branches draped over the homes like arms of the past wrapped around them.”

Blood Alley is a well-paced and well-written book and an enticing introduction to what I hope will be a long series. Yes, it’s called Blood Alley and horrible crimes are committed but the descriptions are not gory. Thanks to the author for an advance digital review copy. This is my honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Alley.

Finished Reading