Dani's Reviews > Stories I Only Tell My Friends: An Autobiography

Jun 22, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in June, 2012

I listened to this on my last road trip and found it really interesting. As a teen of the 80s, Lowe's stories bring back many memories. Plus, he's a decent reader & even throws in several very good vocal impressions. The book covers Lowe's progression from a geeky, insecure kid to a household name, and all of the ups, downs and scandals along the way. He talks a lot about his lifelong friendships with Emilio Estevez, Charlie Sheen, and the influence of their father, Martin, in his life. He talks about many women... one of my favorite stories being of meeting Daryl Hannah at 18, prior to her fame, who came to her family's Thanksgiving dinner dressed in a full-on fairy costume... wings and all. One thing he skates over is his engagement and then break-up with Melissa Gilbert. Although he mentions their early relationship as teens, and that they dated off and on for years, he never even mentions that engagement, miscarriage or break-up. Kinda odd given that he covers all of the other questionable times in his life. Possibly he was just being protective of her feelings. Anyway... his is/was an interesting life for sure!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stories I Only Tell My Friends.