Hannah Cobb's Reviews > Throne of Glass

Jun 22, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: ya-fantasy
Read in June, 2012

At eighteen years old, Celaena Sardothien is the most feared assassin in the land. She's also a prisoner in a salt mine, where she is forced into brutal slave labor. Then the captain of the king's guard, Chaol, shows up to free her from prison, on one condition: she has to compete against a couple dozen of the kingdom's worst criminals in a series of tests meant to choose a champion who will be the king's personal assassin. Celaena struggles to regain her physical and mental strength while fighting her growing attraction for the handsome captain of the guard.
Fans of adventure-packed fantasy will appreciate Maas's first published novel, and anyone who followed the original Queen of Glass version online will be delighted to see the book in print for the first time.
However, I found the worldbuilding cliched at best. It didn't help that I have a major problem with unpronouncable fantasy names, especially for the main characters. Celaena's character reacts to every circumstance with either ridiculous violence or romantic cliches; toward the end of the book she makes several unexplained choices to help other people at her own expense, but otherwise she shows little character growth. I have no problem with a YA novel about an assassin, but such a book--in my opinion--should be rich with internal conflict over the morality of murder, instead of glorifying violence to such as extent. If you're looking for a girl-oriented fantasy novel about an assassin for your library, I would go with Grave Mercy, by Robin LaFevers.
Reviewed on netgalley.com. Publication date 8/7/2012.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Throne of Glass.