Jo Reads Romance's Reviews > Eligible Ex-Husband

Eligible Ex-Husband by Marie  Johnston

Happy sighs
5 stars

I love a second chance romance but it’s books like this that make me think that it’s definitely my favourite trope. I love, love, loved it!

Simon and Natalie are a recently divorced couple who are trying to get to grips with their new normal. Which is especially hard since the reason for their divorce wasn’t because they fell out of love with each other or lacked chemistry. Simon just always put his job ahead of his family and Natalie was done with living her life that way.

I think what I especially like about second-chance romances - especially those where the couple have been married and so recently - is that we jump right into the story and get to know our couple really quickly. Mostly because they already know each other so well. With this story it’s clear early on that Natalie and Simon are perfect for each other. Soul mates who just misstepped on their journey.

With that said, as we went through the book I was at times worried that Simon just wouldn’t get it. He would never understand what drove Natalie away. I wanted to shake the dratted man sometimes.

But it’s not just Simon who needs to change and notice things - which is something I really liked about this story. Natalie is on her own journey of self-discovery. Finding what she likes and wants to do away from her roles as a wife and as a mother. Yet she also has to realise how to deal with Simon and how she feels about him and his own priorities. This was never about Simon changing to get Natalie back - it was about how they moved forward as a couple. And gah! - it was so stinkin’ cute!

We do have sex though. Lots of steamy, it’s been too long and I must have you now, type of sex. It made me tingle but also made my heart happy. Seriously, there was something about this story that everything was just perfect.

This is part of the Cocky Hero Club world of novels. They all standalone so no prior reading is required. However, if you’ve read Vi Keeland and Penelope Ward’s Stuck-Up Suit, you’ll recognise Graham - the hero from that story - who makes a very small cameo in this story.

This book had everything I could want in a story. It’s a fairly simple tale but it packs a big punch. It’s got enough emotion to melt your heart, but never gets too fraught or angsty. I absolutely raced through this book, reading every spare moment that I had as I was so invested in the story and the characters. It’s satisfying in every way that matters and a book I would highly recommend. This is my first Marie Johnston read but it definitely won’t be my last. 5 stars.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eligible Ex-Husband.

September 5, 2020 – Started Reading