Heather Gadd's Reviews > Dead Meat: Day 1

Dead Meat by Nick Clausen

bookshelves: read-in-2020

I’ll be honest, I was a bit hesitant going into this book, I don’t usually handpick a book that I believe will have a lot of gore, and choosing to read a zombie book is an almost absolute guarantee that there is going to be a significant amount of blood and guts. This assumption was correct, but Nick’s writing had me hooked from the first page, so I was here for the show and enjoyed every word.

Do not pick up this book thinking it will be a short read, because the minute you finish this novella, you’re going to want to read the next one. Which is exactly what I did, and is why two nights later I’m now on Dead Meat: Day 4 and anticipating the release of Day 5. These book “snacks” are addictive and “once you pop, you can’t stop”.

Most zombie stories, specifically movies and television, follow a very predictable script, and once you’ve seen one, you’ve seen them all. While you can appreciate them all with their slight variations, there’s very little surprise in the arc and finale. Clausen threw this playbook out the window and crafted an unparalleled drama that ties the supernatural into what is a traditionally clinical origin story.

Everything about Dead Meat is so well executed. Each zombie attack is a shocking surprise despite having read several. Every character is well fleshed out (pun slightly intended) so that every loss is mourned. I can guarantee that you won’t know where the story is going or how it will end. Regardless of the apocalyptic trajectory, you won’t want it to end.

This book 100% surprised me and I will read this series through Day 100.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Meat.

September 4, 2020 – Started Reading