Alecia's Reviews > Flowertown

Flowertown by S.G. Redling

F 50x66

I love Ellie Cauley, the main character in Flowertown. I grew up on slasher movies where high-school beauty queens ran upstairs in their high-heels, only to be killed by the bad guy. They always fell down, they always screamed, and I always hated it.

Not so with Ellie. She is hard, cynical, and seems that she couldn't care less. This is actually Ellie's survival mechanism. It's how she copes because, ultimately, she is a survivor.

After a devestating chemical spill in rural Iowa, Ellie finds herself plucked from her career and good life only to be placed under very strict government and corporate enforced quarentine. Not only that, she knows she will never leave. So yes, she is a pot-smoking, fornicating, slob with the attitude, "What are they going to do, kill me? And that is worse, how?"

She doesn't get pulled into the conspiracy theories that are all around her as the fragile infrastructure of Flowertown begins to crumble. She just takes a hit from her everpresent joint and keeps pushing pencils at one of many jobs that were created to keep residents of Flowertown from being bored.

Until the explosion.

This book had me chomping at the bit for more. The premise is unique. The characters are endearing, even with their faults. And, as with every good book, there are twists and turns to keep you reading.

I highly recomend this book. It is a very good read and I look forward to more from this new author. Keep 'em coming S.G. Reddling.

One final note. When I think of Ellie Cauley, I remember something my grandmother used to say, "You can only kick a dog so many times before she bites back!"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flowertown.

Started Reading