Meaghan D'Otazzo's Reviews > The Lonely Vampire

The Lonely Vampire by Ann Greyson

Read 2 times. Last read October 7, 2020 to October 9, 2020.

A unique novel that breaks the walls of Genre.

Welcome to Newcastle upon Tyne where the weather is mostly cloudy to rainy. Near Jesmond Dene, a leafy woodland valley with waterfalls and rustic bridges, most of the houses in its vicinity are empty and the main road is dusty, and gloomy like a cemetery. That is where you will find lonely vampire Ileana Vladislava living in a castle.

Though much of the story is on cruise control, driven by the forward momentum of Ileana escaping the loneliness in her life, Greyson jerks the wheel and intentionally veers off course with the character of Myrna Ivester whose narrative voice is an intriguing tool that keeps my interest through the whole thing. Myrna is a true drama queen at her core. She is all over the place with her emotions, stressing about her life which leads to her wanting a vampire existence. Her story is ultimately uplifting as she gives readers a compassionate glimpse into her emotional journey toward becoming a vampire soon after Ileana takes a bite into her. One can almost feel the heat rising from the pages while reading of the physical sensations occurring during Ileana’s seduction of Myrna. With Ileana and Myrna, Ann Greyson creates two perfectly lovable characters who you find incredibly hard not to attach to them and can’t help but keep close to your heart.

The blending of fantasy and the everyday is so flawless, that you think anything is possible in The Lonely Vampire. At times in the novel, Ileana manipulates energy being that she is an energy feeder that can display various levels of psychic ability. It’s interesting how she affects electricity which cuts on and off in her presence in places like a subway car, hospital corridor and the public library.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lonely Vampire.

Quotes Meaghan Liked

Ann Greyson
“she said, with her nose in the air, and swiftly turned her back on Ileana, just as easy as closing a door. Lorraine Krag had to have the last word.”

Ann Greyson
“I knew it was time for me to go when I noticed him staring where he shouldn’t be looking, where he couldn’t stop looking.”

Ann Greyson
“While she was looking at me from top to bottom, I looked at her the same way and noticed she was wearing a pink and white dress to her knees under a white cardigan sweater and a pair of white house slippers on her feet.”

Ann Greyson
“I’ve seen a strange woman dressed in black coming in and out of there all the time. And every so often, I hear the sound of animals screaming.”

Ann Greyson
“A smile and a tear came to her face, and for a moment, she wished she could go back in time to when their friendship began.”

Ann Greyson
“Already her mind was racing in all the wrong directions. Lorraine Krag was right to ask. Who was that woman in the castle?”

Ann Greyson
“Her lips glided down my neck, forming delicate kisses as she explored the carotid artery pulsating beneath my skin.”

Ann Greyson
“A little lump started to form in her throat as she fought back the tears. I came closer to her and hugged her. The emotions inside of us were running so deep that I didn’t once think about her blood”

September 1, 2020 – Started Reading