Sam's Reviews > Defiance

Defiance by C.J. Redwine

Jun 21, 2012

Defiance was a very interesting dystopian story. It took you to a new world, and one with a power hungry leader. Defiance had me invested in the story and I loved the way it was written and how it made me think about what was going to happen. It surprised me with every turn of the page!
Cover:
The cover is perfect! It is exactly how I picture Rachel, with her fiery red hair and her black cloak. You can see the Wall in her cloak and I think it’s just icing on the cake on an amazing cover!
Plot/Writing:
Sure, there were moments of predictability, but those moments were outshone with the times when I was taken by surprise. It might’ve been by how smart Logan really is, how determined Rachel is, or just a plot twist in general that kept me on my toes and expecting the worst to happen. It was written beautifully and had me laughing, teary-eyed, or freaking out over what had just happened.
Characters:
Rachel was the reason for the title Defiance. She would do anything to save the ones she loved, even if it meant sacrificing her own happiness. She was a character ruled by her emotions and it was inspiring to read about. It also made me want to become like her... She is quite a badass.
Logan is a mix between a techy and badass. He can run through any scenario in a matter of seconds and come up with solutions to all of them, all while fighting his way toward saving Rachel. When I think of Logan I think of Zuko from “Avatar: the Last Airbender” when he would say he needs to restore his honor. That’s how I picture Logan when he was tasked with being Rachel’s protector.
All in All:
I really loved Defiance! It was an amazing story and I can’t wait for the next story from C.J. Redwine!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Defiance.

Quotes Sam Liked

C.J. Redwine
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement.”

C.J. Redwine
“I never thought it was fair that anatomy decided what my brain was fit for.”

C.J. Redwine
“His knives are nice. Mine is better.”
tags: funny

C.J. Redwine
“Besides, what do I know about being a wife? There are much more important qualities to have than a docile disposition.”

C.J. Redwine
“I love how you still think if you tell me to do something, I'll just check my brain at the door and do it.”

June 21, 2012 – Started Reading